Squidgy crop????

• 25 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Squidgy crop????
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 18:54 »
She's 9 months old, and no, there's no changes to surroundings/food etc....my other 5 are all prefectly well...........
I'm starting to doubt myself as regards if I've checked her over properly re having an egg stuck.....really cant feel anything,  but am i feeling properly.....?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 20:38 »
Well, I put her in the coop at 7.30pm and she's not moved from where i put her....the others are still out, and will be going to bed shortly....toyed with the idea of bringing her into the house, but decided against that as dont want to stress her, and at least once dark, the others will settle around her, and keep it warm.

I'm starting to sound desperate, but any suggestions greatly appreciated.  Will see what happens overnight, fingers crossed....

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42 »
Morning....well, she's still with us this morning, and I'm waiting for my vet to ring so I can see what he thinks...she's had a little taste of egg and a little more sugar water....still hunched up, eyes closed and no interest in anything.

Casey76

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15 »
Certainly the vet is the best port of call.  After all we can only make suggestions as we can't see or feel your hen.

Hope she gets better soon.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13 »
Just for anyone interested, took little Ginger to the vets yesterday afternoon...vet doesnt think she has anything life threatening, (not convinced, but thats just me expecting the worst), and said she has an infection, but didnt say exactly what it was.  He gave her an anti-biotic injection of Baytril, and 2 large syringes of a glucose solution directly into her crop...she didnt like that bit!!!!  The bill came to £24.00 including a second visit this afternoon.

Was still expecting to find that she'd passed away in the night, but she's still with us.  She's had some water and after serving up goodness knows how many choices of food, she opted for a few little bits of pasta and wheat, mixed with egg.

So hoping I can get her back to her busy little self....

kegs

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43 »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Ginger. 

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:30 »
Thankyou....will update either way..

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 12:11 »
Wish my update had a happy ending, but after a further 2 visits to the vets, (due the 4th this evening), i decided this morning to take her and request they put her to sleep....she hadnt really improved at all....I'd spent hours with her over the last week, trying everything I could think of that might tempt her to eat, and she was just getting weaker.
Still dont know exactly what the infection was, but my other girls are fine and nobody showing signs of any ailments.
I'm having a new coop and run built on Thursday, and I know i sound daft, but sickened for little Ginger, that she wont get to enjoy it with the others.

kegs

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 12:43 »
So sorry this didn't have a better outcome.  You did everything you could and if the Baytril  didn't work then you did the right thing to stop any further suffering.  :(

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 13:22 »
Thankyou, it's my first loss, and didnt think it would be half as hard as it was.....these little birds that have destroyed my garden, that poo all over the place, and muck everything up they get their claws/beaks on, have fair captured a place in my heart!!! 

kegs

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 15:32 »
Oh yes.  They get us all like that.  You think it'll start with just a couple of chickens, then suddenly you need another coop ( ;)) and then they need more of your garden, and then you start thinking of incubators and chicks and before you know it you have full blown chickenitus.    :nowink:   

xx
Squidgy bottom!

Started by westie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Impacted crop?

Started by old chook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 08:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 37 queries.