Poor show with broccoli

• 4 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Poor show with broccoli
« on: August 17, 2012, 18:35 »
I will be taking out my broccoli and sprout plants this weekend. Broccoli was late in as lost the first seedlings and after one small picking they now look as if they've had it and despite fine netting the cabbage whites have layed eggs and I have catapillars everywhere.
Sprouts next to them look poor and attacked as well and I can't see them coming to anything.
Never seen a cabbage white ever in my garden in 17 years. The I planted brassicas and they are everywhere.

Don't think I will bother with broccoli or sprouts again, to much hassle and space taken up for a small cottage garden and raised beds. Going to try onions next year and one or two other crops.

Edit spelling to aid search purposes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 18:38 by argyllie »
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poor show with broccoli
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 20:38 »
Broccoli is not the easiest thing to grow and sprouts are big plants.  If you want winter greens, kale can make more use of the space as you can keep picking leaves as and when you need them.  Chard and perpetual spinach are useful like that as well  :)

JaneS

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 20:54 »
Our sprouts are doing ok but our broccoli has all but gone to seed, think there is only one left that is looking as though it might make a head of broccoli.  Will have to rely on the purple sprouting broccolli now....

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 21:11 »
Chucked out all our cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts and broccoli a couple of weeks ago. The cool monsoon conditions of June and early July had stunted them and it was clear they weren't going to recover. The local nursery sold me 100 tangled leek seedlings, that I suspect they were about to chuck out, for a couple of quid so I replaced brassicas with leek and they seem to be shooting away

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 21:21 »
Threw out my broc last week too along with the cauli's, but funny enough the romanesco is doing great as are the cabbages and sprout's.

xx
Help! What's happening to my poor broccoli?

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 18:08
by goodegg
xx
Poor show

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 07:26
by davel831
xx
Poor show on Garlic

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 11:21
by gobs
xx
Poor show fruit trees

Started by soosywoosy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 19:20
by Christine

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 29 queries.