Help! What's happening to my poor broccoli?

• 11 Replies

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Help! What's happening to my poor broccoli?
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:21 »
Yesterday morning they looked just fine; this morning, some of the seed leaves have died (they're dry), and some look like they're wilting.  They are about 4 weeks old, and they were not leggy, kept on a windowsill with plenty of kitchen foil... They had sprouted in a peat pellet, and then a couple of weeks ago I had potted the pellets on to a bigger pot, since they had started coming out of the pellet.
Some of the seed leaves look like they have a couple of "indentations" on them, including the ones that have dried...
Any idea about what the problem could be? Anything I can do to salvage them, or should I start a new batch?
This is so depressing, after losing my first batch because I had let them get too leggy, these looked so much better...  :(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:02 by oldcow »

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Help! What's happening to my poor broccoli?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:44 »
Are they getting to warm if they are inside. I know i lost cabbage and cauliflower last year due to this.
Thanks
Kris

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 14:12 »
Should I harden them off first, or should I just go ahead and plant them out immediately? And apart from getting them out, anything else I can do to help them survive?

noshed

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 15:29 »
If you can, put them out during the day for a few days and keep them somewhere cool at night, like a porch.
If not you could plant them out and cover them with a cut off pop bottle for a couple of weeks. Plant them firmly, they like that.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 17:07 »
Are you over-watering them at all...? Could be damping off.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 17:15 »
i wouldnt grow anything in peat pellets once they dry out you cant get them to soak up any water that is probably the reason they are dying.you could try standing them in water up to the bottom of plants otherwise i would plant some more in a seed tray with out the pellets .

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 18:00 »
Goosegirl, they could have been overwatered - I left them with my husband for a few days, and I'm not sure how carefully he followed my instructions. However the stalks look fine, unless the damage is below the soil level.
Goodegg, about the pellets, would having used them still be a problem even if the plants have now been in a bigger pot with potting soil in for a couple of weeks? It's reall the first time they show any sign of problem in the 4 weeks since they sprouted.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 20:39 »
Rangerkris is right you know.
They should have been sown outside (in a tray is ok) in a coldframe/greenhouse or under a cloche or fleece if your climate is really harsh. They really don't need any heat at all.

I think it sounds as if you would be better off starting again, try sowing in a seed tray, space the seed out quite well, and they should be able to stay in the tray until they get to transplanting size.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51 »
I don't have any cold frame or greenhouse, that's why I started them indoors.
Now that the temperature is quite nice, would it be OK to just put the seeds in the raised beds? I had been told not to do that since it takes too long to get a harvest, but hey that might have been bad advice...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 13:01 »
sorry I didn't mean to offend......I know that not everyone has a greenhouse or cold frame that's why I mentioned fleece, you can get some in the poundshop. This gives a little protection from hard frost without raising temperature too high :)

Sorry, I can't help about planting direct, as apart from my rows of peas, it is not something I do. I find that transplanted brassicas work better in my soil. They seem to get off to a better start in the potting compost.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 13:20 »
mumofstig, no offence taken whatsoever! Thanks for the advice. I think I'll follow all the advice here - I've started hardening off the plants I have now and I'll plant them out in a few days, and in the meantime I'll start a few new plants just in case the old ones don't make it or look like they're suffering too much; I'll keep the new seedlings in an unheated room with the window open...

goodegg

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 18:08 »
dont know what the weather conditions are like over there but i have had my cabbage planted out side since they got their first proper leaves at a bout 1 inch tall sorry i dont understand english conditions but i live on island and dont understand what parts of england are warmer or colder good luck with them anyway

xx
Poor show with broccoli

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:21
by fatcat1955
xx
What's happening to my seedlings?

Started by mo-jo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 16:23
by DD.
xx
Nothing happening in the propagator

Started by SAF on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 22:03
by Trillium
xx
What's happening with Raspberries

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2021, 15:36
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 38 queries.