Best ever

• 3 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Best ever
« on: August 17, 2012, 20:38 »
I've been growing fruit and veg for over 40 years and have never known a summer as wet as this one. However, I've never grown parsnips, beetroot (standard as well as Chiogga and Golden), mangetout, carrots, turnips, leek, celeriac and runner beans that have been as prolific as this lot are. That warm dry sunny spell over the Olympics followed by the warm humid weather we are having now has worked wonders.

The brassicas, broad beans, spuds (especially the spuds!) and tree fruit have been disastrous but hey, the successes have made up for them
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 20:40 by AlaninCarlisle »

Trillium

Re: Best ever
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 00:40 »
Seasons tend to go like that. If it's a great year for potatoes, then the carrots weren't at their best, and vice versa. That's what keeps gardening challenging  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04 »
I always dread the year we lose most of the toms - like this year.

I picked a 2lb 1oz beetroot yesterday, (biggest I've ever grown) and it wouldn't boil in time for supper, so we left it on a low heat during the evening.

The evening boil turned out to last until a couple of hours ago, so that's gone south! Funnily enough, it smelt like roasting turkey...

;0(

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40 »
 :lol:We roast our beetroot anyway in the bottom oven. They cook better that way. Must get round to weighing some of mine.

Talking about weighing stuff, I've pulled a couple of perfectly shaped parsnips that must weigh a pound or two and they still have a couple of month's growing ahead of them yet

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 36 queries.