race pigeon Help!!

• 21 Replies

maxyboo

Re: race pigeon Help!!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 21:22 »
Let the owner know you released the bird but he is still flying around your house. I don't see what else you can do. The owner doesn't seem too concerned about the bird anyway. The aren't much use if the don't come back I suppose. Have you any local animal sanctuaries who could help or give advice. We have rescued a few pigeons in the past when the owners did not want them back. One said he would only kill it if we sent it back as it was no use to him now. Ours were rehomed with a lady who fed pigeon flocks regularly so they would stay in her area. I think if you did catch it and take it to a vet you will end up with a vets bill as the owner may not want to pay it.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 21:36 »
Thanks maxyboo will get onto some rescues tomorrow. I dont mind paying a vet bill to make sure the poor thing is ok (I know im mad). Lets just hope this is the first and only time this happens to me as it may become and expensive hobby lol :lol: On saying that the OH been trying to catch it all day with no luck lol it just sits on the kitchen roof mocking lol and eats the chicken feed when we go back in the house  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 00:30 »
Its a shame you didnt have the same experience as me almost!

The club gave me the name of the local fancier, as said as derby is 50 plus miles from me & he collected the bird from my house. He lived just a couple miles away. He was a very kind man who loved his pigeons alot. He did take the our cat bought in but it died overnight unforuntatly. I phoned him, thinking it would be just a bit shocked. He said he didnt want to tell me b/c of upsetting me. Such a kind man.

One thing you could perhaps try is asking the club if there is a fancier local to where the bird comes from if they would have it as their flock? Ask them for a number of someone to collect half way like me. Perhaps someone more sympathetic. I know I would too, its an animal but its not fair for you to pay for vets fees.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19 »
If you manage to lure it down and you think it's ill, is there a local wild life trust that can help?

Blobbs

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 13:10 »
We had one in our garden a few years ago and were advised by a local fancier to let it go wild as the owner would cull it. That's what they do with the ones with no sense of direction. If they can't win prizes they are for the chop !!
I guess he'll find some new pigeon friends and wander off as did the one we had in our garden.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 18:17 »
Thankyou everyone for all the helpful advice he is giving me the run around trying to catch him at the moment lol. The lady i work with has told me about a guy she knows who has a big pigeon loft and he very often takes them in so shes going to have words with him so fingers crossed i can catch him and someone with a bit more experience will give him a nice new home  :)

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 15:58 »
just read this...i hope the lady has some luck. one of my neighbours flies pigeons and even he says that if one doesn't make it home or comes in too late it will be culled. waste of money and loft space if they don't place - they cost a lot of money to buy in so don't know how they can just cull like that - especially as there's nothing physically wrong with the bird!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

smiley
BABY PIGEON

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:27
by Sassy
xx
Pigeon keeping

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:02
by Bodger
xx
Baby pigeon & pic of my coop & run so far....

Started by Chookaholic on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:35
by Chookaholic
xx
Tylosin+ sachets 10x7,5 g by Chevita for Racing Pigeon-Ok for Hens?!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.