race pigeon Help!!

• 21 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
race pigeon Help!!
« on: July 12, 2012, 18:03 »
Didnt really know where to put this post. we have had a race pigeon in our garden for 4 days living off my chikens corn ::) well i finally caught it today and rang the owner. i currently have it in a cat basket with food and water. The owner said if its strong enough to release it which i am pretty sure it is as it took me 4 days to catch lol. My only concern is the weather here is awful and its soon going to be dark. could anyone give me any advice on what to do with this poor thing. our local pigeon fancier doesn't want to know.please send help my way lol  ::)

Plot74

• tilly
Re: race pigeon Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 18:35 »
Depending on the area of the country it is from.
If you know anyone heading in that direction the could let it out closer to home. If not take it to a local park and let it go it should get home. If not it will just join the wild ones.
I don't keep them myself but my neighbour on the plot races them.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

yacks

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 19:04 »
My mum has had 2 pigeons in garden in last 2 weeks there is a number on band on leg ... Try ringing vet and getting national number they will then give you phone number to ring owner ... What they have told mum is water most important then some corn till they can get to her ... Hope this helps x

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 19:14 »
yep it has corn and water. Like i say i contacted the owner and he said when the pigeon looks fit enough to fly release him. He is definitely fit enough its just the weather and the fact that nights drawing in that concerns me. Will he be ok in the cat carrier over night and then release him in the morning hes gotta get all the way back to west  midlands and im in exmouth Devon  ::)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 19:38 »
I would leave it until morning, at least you know it will be well rested  ;)
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

splash101

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 19:41 »
My dad had a similar experiance a few years back and the owner said to put in a cardboard box or similar and put in garage overnight and release the next morning. Dad was in Lincs and owner was in Yorks which i think would be a shorter journey than Devon to W mids
I'd do whatever the owner has said but i'm sure a pet carrier would be good overnight

yacks

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 19:59 »
The owners for ones my mum had came and picked them up from her ... Just releasing is no way of knowing it is gonna get back as it hasn't this time

Little red

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 20:12 »
Hi
We have chickens and racing pigeons and the pigeon will be fine in the cat carrier over night.
Just release in the morning - hopefully  it is fair :)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 20:55 »
thankyou everyone just hope the little fella gets home mind you he has taken a liken to my chooks (well their food) and the ladies have not been to keen. I have a feeling he may end up back and i'll be naming him next lol  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 23:52 »
I guess the bird has gone now but this is what I had to.

My cat caught one unfortunatly about a month ago. She was a young hen.

They can come down sometimes at this time as they are weakened through racing as it's the racing season atm. I live in birmingham & this young hen belonged to a man in Derbyshire!

You make a note of the number on the metal leg ring, it will read GB 23456 for example & they will usually have another coloured ring on their leg too.

Phone the RPRA & they will identify its owner. They usually have fanciers local to you that will collect the pigeon on the owners behalf if its too far away and do a mid pick up service. It costs you nothing. Also they will look after if it, if it needs some TLC before return.

http://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:40 »
I had a racing pigeon in my back garden with my hens over the weekend.  It didn't stay though.  Helped itself to water and some layer pellets and it was off.  Smart birds.  It was right after a series of thunderstorms went through.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 14:36 »
Thunderstorms mess up the magnetic pole bearings in the pigeon's brain and it can get confused and go the wrong way. Some fly the wrong way until they're exhausted and need a few days rest and food to recover. We feed our racers on chicken pellets which is a complete food for them. And pet carriers are perfect for them as it allows air and the bird can adjust to its bearings. Cardboard boxes are only for very short term, like a few hours. Once recovered, a good bird will figure out the right direction and return home.

Others are simply dumb. We live in southern Ontario and my son found a banded bird on his coop. So he caught the bird, traced it's band and we were both shocked at how far off trail the bird was. It had come all the way from Louisiana!! Check your maps and you'll see just how far that is from us. We contacted the owner by email and he said he didn't want such a stupid bird back. Worse, was that the silly man wasn't even sure where Canada was  :blink:

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 20:36 »
this morning when the weather brightened up me and my son took the pigeon away from the house and released him by the time we got home he was there at the patio door  ::) ::) like i said the local pigeon fancier didn't want to know and the owner doesn't seem bother unless the bird gets home so i really don't know what else i can do. :(

wildwitchy

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 20:42 »
I am saddened to hear that the local fancier wasn't interested! Did you try contacting the club? The owner really should collect his bird if he cares about it?

But perhaps the little birdy prefers you instead??  ;)

They know who's kind.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 21:05 »
When i contacted the club they just passed on the owners details. The owner basically said if the bird was healthy enough it would fly home (if not he didn't really want it) so now im worried the poor fella is poorly. it seemed fine to me but im not a pigeon expert lol. It is now sat on our kitchen roof so i cant get to it but if i manage to catch it would it be worth contacting a vet? I m also worried one of my 3 dogs will get it as they haven't been too impressed that its bugging the chooks as the ladies have been squawking away every time its near their run lol   :lol:

smiley
BABY PIGEON

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:27
by Sassy
xx
Pigeon keeping

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:02
by Bodger
xx
Baby pigeon & pic of my coop & run so far....

Started by Chookaholic on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:35
by Chookaholic
xx
Tylosin+ sachets 10x7,5 g by Chevita for Racing Pigeon-Ok for Hens?!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 29 queries.