Hello, everybody - tayberry questions

• 11 Replies

Mica

Hello, everybody - tayberry questions
« on: July 08, 2012, 21:20 »
Hello,

I'm Mica, I've just registered myself here, finally, to ask a question, because I've been using the site for a while reading and finding useful information and tips, whenever my amateur gardener's skills were not enough.  

I have just bought 4 bare root tayberry canes, from a small outdoor stuff kind of shop. I want to plant 2 in my allotment, to add to the raspberries I already have. My problem is that I want to give some to a friend, living in Croatia, but I will go there mid August. How am I supposed to keep them until then? What should I do to best assure they will still be viable?
And, can I plant my canes now? Will they fruit next year?

As you can see, I haven't just introduced myself and hope I posted in the right place, but I have also put my problem out on a tray, already. I hope nobody will be upset by this, but I'm really looking forward for trying this new variety of berries and also make a nice little gift to my friend.

Thank you for your help. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.
Mica
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 22:07 by Yorkie »

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: Hello, everybody
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 21:26 »
welcome Mica from sunny England :lol: :lol:
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mica

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 21:32 »
Thank you for your quick welcome.
Sunny? I don't even remember how the sun looks like  ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 22:07 »
Welcome to the site Mica  :D

I'm going to move your post across to the Grow Your Own board, but do feel free to pop back onto the Welcome board for a proper welcome  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mica

Re: Hello, everybody - tayberry questions
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 22:10 »
Thank you for redirecting me. I said I'm new  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 22:11 »
No worries, you'll soon find your way around  :D

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 22:11 »
Hello,

I'm Mica, I've just registered myself here, finally, to ask a question, because I've been using the site for a while reading and finding useful information and tips, whenever my amateur gardener's skills were not enough.  

I have just bought 4 bare root tayberry canes, from a small outdoor stuff kind of shop. I want to plant 2 in my allotment, to add to the raspberries I already have. My problem is that I want to give some to a friend, living in Croatia, but I will go there mid August. How am I supposed to keep them until then? What should I do to best assure they will still be viable?
And, can I plant my canes now? Will they fruit next year?

As you can see, I haven't just introduced myself and hope I posted in the right place, but I have also put my problem out on a tray, already. I hope nobody will be upset by this, but I'm really looking forward for trying this new variety of berries and also make a nice little gift to my friend.

Thank you for your help. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.
Mica

Bare-rooted soft fruit is usually planted between November and March, when the plant is dormant. But they're unlikely to survive out of the ground, so I would plant yours anyway, and perhaps put the ones for your friend into large pots of compost. Also, check local regulations for importing plant material - it's often the cause of introduced pests, and can be strictly controlled. I could be wrong (often am, in fact!), but I don't think Croatia joins the EU till next year, so independent import controls will be in place.

SG6

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 22:22 »
Plant your's now, any canes that they grow this year will bear fruit next year, but as you are late I would not expect much growth. So you may have to wait for a cane next year then fruit the year after.

If there is anything that looks like a new cane starting, or having started, do not prune it off.

They are thorny and spiky all over so be a little careful when picking them.

I find they do not need a great deal of care, just pruning out of canes over 2 years old and identification of new canes.

When pruning use heavy gloves, leather, believe me you will need them.

Mica

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 22:32 »

Bare-rooted soft fruit is usually planted between November and March, when the plant is dormant. But they're unlikely to survive out of the ground, so I would plant yours anyway, and perhaps put the ones for your friend into large pots of compost. Also, check local regulations for importing plant material - it's often the cause of introduced pests, and can be strictly controlled. I could be wrong (often am, in fact!), but I don't think Croatia joins the EU till next year, so independent import controls will be in place.
[/quote]

Thank you very much, Kajazy, I would definitely look into importing plant regulations, as I didn't think it will be a problem. So, in case I would be allowed to take them with me, I assume I'll have to 'dig' them out of their pots again?

Mica

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 22:38 »
Plant your's now, any canes that they grow this year will bear fruit next year, but as you are late I would not expect much growth. So you may have to wait for a cane next year then fruit the year after.

If there is anything that looks like a new cane starting, or having started, do not prune it off.

They are thorny and spiky all over so be a little careful when picking them.

I find they do not need a great deal of care, just pruning out of canes over 2 years old and identification of new canes.

When pruning use heavy gloves, leather, believe me you will need them.

Thank you SG6. according to your suggestion,  I guess I'll leave all the shoots just to grow  next year and maybe fruit (if I'm very lucky) and start pruning the year after. Good advice for the gloves! Thanks!

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 22:42 »

Thank you very much, Kajazy, I would definitely look into importing plant regulations, as I didn't think it will be a problem. So, in case I would be allowed to take them with me, I assume I'll have to 'dig' them out of their pots again?
[/quote]

Yes, if you're flying, and no if you're driving! Just make sure they'll be kept suitably moist - dehydration will kill them off.

Mica

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 22:54 »
Thank you all,
I finally found a break in the rain and managed to plant my canes. Now, fingers crossed that something will come out of it. :)

xx
Tayberry

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 07:33
by sunshineband
xx
Tayberry?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 06:57
by mollydog
xx
Tayberry

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 22:25
by sunshineband
xx
tayberry question

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 20:09
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 29 queries.