Putting my plan into action

• 8 Replies

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
Putting my plan into action
« on: July 07, 2012, 15:00 »
Well, I got started on my plan to salvage my plot and try to reduce stress of not being able to keep on top of things in this dire weather.

I lifted all the garlic, and that wasn't too bad. (grown in a small raised bed)
I also lifted the shallots, but probably only got about less than half I had planted.
The onions look ok, (apart from the weeds), so I will keep a close watch on them
I harvested a small amount of broccolli, small but should be tasty. ( grown in a raised bed)
I also picked most of the broad beans in a raised bed.

Harvested the beetroot that was drowning in water.

Then we got weed control fabric and covered all the the exposed ground, so hopefully, it should keep the weeds in check.
Sadly, about over a third of the plot is waterlogged, (too much water to even clear the rest of the brassicas.)  :(
The potatoes are still small, so a decision will need to be made soon about harvesting those before they get a chance to rot.
I will have a space in a raised bed for some plants once the broad beans are finished, so I might just leave it at that for this season.
It's amazing the difference in different parts of the plot. One side had courgettes growing ok,  (no fruit yet) but on the opposite side of the three foot wide path, they were struggling. :unsure:

The rain came down right on cue at two O'clock, but I'm happier now that at least I have salvaged something, albeit not much. Also, the brussells are still doing well in their little box bed and the rabbit hasn'r found the parsnips in their box bed either.  :nowink:

I am also quite pleased with this, my biggest elephant Garlic.  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Putting my plan into action
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 15:11 »
Its a shame you will have lost some, but well done for persevering and that elephant garlic is a cracker!  :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 15:14 »
Great gobbling garlic - what a monster! Glad you've got summat out of those raised beds. 

Most of our stuff is in them too - individual baskets/crates, and things aren't too bad.  I even have to water the spuds!

Time for a cuppa and plan some watercress for next season? ;)

MJS

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 15:21 »
Thanks both :) Yes watercress, or a paddy field  ;)

Our neighbour told us she was crying last week at the waste of all her hard work. Lots of stuff has been lost and some has just not grown once planted . We all know that feeling this year don't we?  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 16:14 »
Oh - we sure do! I am scared of putting slug pellets around my brassicas, but my plantlets are now planted out with a cut-off plastic milk container over them, so a few pellets have gone in there. I have also put clematis netting in an arch over my newly-sown rows of parsnips, carrots and beetroot so the cats don't dig them up and I can put pellets there without any risk to them. Planting out my leeks was another matter - one of my tortie cats, Daphne, decided to play with one and pulled it out of its hole and ran away with it! ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MJS

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 16:29 »
Planting out my leeks was another matter - one of my tortie cats, Daphne, decided to play with one and pulled it out of its hole and ran away with it! ::)

:ohmy:  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 16:53 »
Planting out my leeks was another matter - one of my tortie cats, Daphne, decided to play with one and pulled it out of its hole and ran away with it! ::)

:ohmy:  :lol:
My Millie has been 'guarding' the onion bed this year.  ::)  Pulled them all up yesterday so I'll no doubt have to give her some redundancy pay.  Strange creatures!  :D

Well done MJS, stress reduction is always a good thing.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

MJS

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 17:23 »
My Millie has been 'guarding' the onion bed this year.  ::)  Pulled them all up yesterday so I'll no doubt have to give her some redundancy pay.  Strange creatures!  :D
Well done MJS, stress reduction is always a good thing.  :)

Bless her :lol:

I must say, when the rain was bombing down as we were leaving, Ifelt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders. There's still more to do yet, but it's a start.

Fix quoted text.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 18:43 by argyllie »

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 20:41 »
Well done on that whopper M. I'm close to covering mine over to reduce the stress of it all. Seemed to have spent all week on the 'phone following our freak weather conditions. >:(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

question
What can I be putting in now?

Started by L 11OBS on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2009, 20:38
by MOLUSC
xx
Putting Rhubarb to bed

Started by Rubellite on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 23:19
by Paul Plots
xx
Putting out sweet corn??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 21, 2021, 11:14
by Abunndance
xx
Putting collars on leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 21:38
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 36 queries.