Oh a snake!

• 30 Replies

galen

• Experienced Member
Re: Oh a snake!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 18:17 »
Though we do have them here in Kent, I know there's a colony on the North Downs...
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 19:41 »
I think I'd have had to call for reinforcements. I have an agreement with Mr S, I get rid of the spiders & he gets rid of the snakes. Surprisingly it's all been a bit one sided so far (phew actually)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 20:23 »
years ago my daughterd dog was bitten by an adder on the cliffs above Dover....luckily we got her to the vets in time  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 20:31 »
I think I'd have had to call for reinforcements. I have an agreement with Mr S, I get rid of the spiders & he gets rid of the snakes. Surprisingly it's all been a bit one sided so far (phew actually)

We have a reversal of your agreement. OH does the big spiders and I do the snakes.
I did save him from a boa constrictor once, and he saved me from a tarantula. :ohmy:

Actually I can deal with most spiders now myself. All the gardening gets you used to them.

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 20:33 »
Ooer you need to elaborate on that story Mrs B

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 20:36 »
Yes, please do!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 20:52 »
Well I could be mean and keep you guessing.

OH saved me when we were on holiday in Dorset with our one year old son. We went to a butterfly farm and when we came out into the shop, all of a sudden OH told me to follow him and keep looking at him. I was carrying our Nick on my hip at the time.

Now I am an argumentative, stroppy, curious person and not usually up for being told what to do, but his time I realised I needed to follow the instructions as I realised from his very calm manner it might be serious.

When we were well outside I asked what it was all about and he said that the guy in the shop had a ruddy great Tarantula on his hand, showing it to people trying to get them to hold the damn thing and he was just behind me. I had a fit of the raging heebeejeebies and was nearly sick.

The only thing that stopped me going back into the place and decking the the bloke with the spider was the fact that he had the bl.....dy spider.  :mad:

I was outraged; what if I had had a dickky heart. It was just so irresponsible.

I saved OH who is petrified of snakes when we were in the deepest jungle you can imagine............................. Covent Garden actually.
We were looking in the lovely shops on our way to Neil's Yard Cheese shop when I spotted a street entertainer with an enormous boa constrictor round his neck coming our way. SO just as he had done with me and the tarantula I steered him well away from the oncoming terror.

Strangely enough he followed my instructions too. Not something he often does. :D

Sorry it is not more exciting, with us in a jungle somewhere. But trust me it was equally hair raising when you are scared of something. :ohmy:

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 20:58 »
Well it'll mean I'll keep my eyes peeled at lunchtime, I work 5 mins from Covent Garden and often wander round there if need some air at lunchtime!

fatcat1955

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 21:04 »
I worked on the CTRL from Folkestone to St Pancras. Loads of Adders around during the morning, sunbathing. Mainly saw them from Ashford to The Medway viaduct.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 21:09 »
I'm sure there's more around than you ever realise. I've found a dead adder in my lane, squished by a car, so there's bound to be live ones here too but I've never seen them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 21:16 »
I'm sure there's more around than you ever realise. I've found a dead adder in my lane, squished by a car, so there's bound to be live ones here too but I've never seen them.

I don't mind as long as I don't see them...............out of sight out of mind ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47 »
Maybe I'm odd (don't say a word Mum  :lol: ) but I would have been thrilled to see a grass snake that close up.

The stinking bit is their defense mechanism and is supposed to smell like dead meat so a predator leaves them alone and looks for a fresher dinner.

I get lots of slow worms on my plot.  They nest on top of the compost in the darlek bins and look up sleepily, blissed out by the warmth, when I lift the lids up  :D  I end up stashing my compost material next to the bin as I can't bear to disturb them  :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 07:58 »
I get lots of slow worms on my plot.  They nest on top of the compost in the darlek bins and look up sleepily, blissed out by the warmth, when I lift the lids up  :D 

The most exotic thing I've come across recently when opening one of the daleks, was a very small field mouse looking back up at me. I don't know who was more startled!  :lol:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 08:02 »
I get lots of slow worms on my plot.  They nest on top of the compost in the darlek bins and look up sleepily, blissed out by the warmth, when I lift the lids up  :D 

The most exotic thing I've come across recently when opening one of the daleks, was a very small field mouse looking back up at me. I don't know who was more startled!  :lol:

We have --- voles looking up with their little gingery faces  :lol: :lol:

Well done for tacking the snake MoS -- some courage when you feel that way  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58 »

We have --- voles looking up with their little gingery faces  :lol: :lol:

Probably wondering where all the strawberries went now you have transferred them home  :lol:

xx
snake gourd

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:11
by sunshineband
xx
Snake in the compost bin

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 21:50
by Trikidiki
xx
GRASS SNAKE!!

Started by NATHAN on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 21:44
by Fat Hen
xx
Snake waste

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 20:25
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 30 queries.