Garlic in containers next year

• 9 Replies

Kirpi

Garlic in containers next year
« on: June 24, 2012, 19:20 »
I know it has been a weird year, but my garlic was infected by rust and there is very little green foliage left now for the bulbs to get energy from. I think the yield is going to be poor.

Strangely, my onions which are right next door on the same bed have no rust at all and are coming on strong.

I am thinking next year I will plant my garlic cloves in a large plant pot and grow them on my sun trap patio. They are mediterranean plants after all and I think they would do better if I remember to keep feeding the compost through the year.

Last year was ok but not brilliant, the year before they got white rot - on different beds as I rotate of course.

Would do other folks find?

SG6

Re: Garlic in containers next year
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 19:28 »
Your garlic might well be ready to harvest.

An old rule was plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest.
Guess what has just occurred.  :ohmy:

I usually leave mine until about 2/3 of the green has turned brown. Uaually end of July, early August.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 19:38 »
Hi Kirpi,

Mine were also infested with rust (and also got white rot last year!).  I removed the majority of the leaves when they also started getting  black mould on them!

I have left the soft necked garlic in to mature a little more as the bulbs are very small, but removed the hard necked garlic yesterday as they were looking so awful.

I haven't grown garlic in pots - only in raised beds at home.  All the garlic at the allotment seems to get rust, as do the chives.  I am going to try the garlic water trick next year to reduce the white rot though as some of my onions and shallots were affected this year (on a different bed to last year).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 19:40 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 21:16 »
I always ignore the rust on my garlic and leeks, doesn't seem to do much harm.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 21:29 »
Yorky - I think it depends on how much rust you get. In my case it was almost the entire leaves through the crop so there was very little green leaf for the bulbs to gain energy through.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:12 »
Try digging one up kirpi, as they might well be ready to harvest

We have grown garlic in containers at work with the children, and had a decent crop

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 16:23 »
Ours is in a big bag with lovely wicker crate surround - all covered in rust! >:(

Got to get them up this week.

Beano

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 16:38 »
We dug our garlic up at the weekend because of rust. They had been in the ground since October last year and they were a good size. Just hope they'll keep now.
El.

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 18:32 »
Got mine up this moning - everyone of them nice and firm though some were starting to split their bulbs so it was high time to harvest them. No white rot though.

Ideally I would dry them out in the sun but we haven't seen much of that. They are air drying in the garage right now - hope they don't rot.

bulb sizes from about a 2p piece to an old 50p size. Not bad - could be better, maybe next year.

Next year I plan to grow some in the soil on the allotment, some in a large tub on my sunny patio and some in plant pots to harvest the chives year round as they come up.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:21 »
Mine have rust but I don't worry about it.  I have grown some in a builders rubble sack at home and they are free of rust, as are the onions alongside them.  You'll need a big container so that you don't have to be constantly watering them.  I'd only use something like a raised bed or rubble sack. My rubble sack was filled with the contents of the hen coop and run which was aged for a while

xx
Containers - when is big enough not to empty year on year?

Started by JaneK on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:05
by JaneK
xx
Last year's garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 12:03
by Growster...
xx
Last year's garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 09:58
by brokenglass
xx
Growing garlic later in the year

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 10:55
by Wellington

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 28 queries.