Last year's garlic...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Last year's garlic...
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:23 »
Last year's garlic crop was not good size-wise...

We harvested the lot, but the individual corms are tiny - about the size of a broad bean, and although the flavour is intense, gnarled old fingers take ages trying to peel them and use them!

As we have so many left, and with the knowledge that the corms are very small, are they worth doing anything with? Some are already sprouting, and I tasted just the tiniest bit of green from one and it nearly blew my head off...!

I did wonder about cleaning them all up, and pureeing the for the freezer, but if there's a chance that they'll do something if planted, I'll make up a bed for them! We already have some over-wintered garlic which seems to be doing well.

Any ideas?

viettaclark

Re: Last year's garlic...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 13:23 »
One idea....just throw them into a trough or big tub (with earth in! ::)). Wait for the chive-like leaves then chop them off and freeze especially as you say the flavour is good.
Small cloves tend to produce small bulbs so this is what I'm doing with some of the rubbish crop from last year.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:51 »
One idea....just throw them into a trough or big tub (with earth in! ::)). Wait for the chive-like leaves then chop them off and freeze especially as you say the flavour is good.
Small cloves tend to produce small bulbs so this is what I'm doing with some of the rubbish crop from last year.

Thank you Vietta!

It's a good idea, as I don't really want to give over a whole section of garden to something which will not be over-productive!

Your idea's the best option, and I have re-negotiated with Mrs Growster, and she agrees!

And, I've just had another thought, we've bought one of those 'slap-down' choppers yesterday, mainly for herbs, but those leaves would be a great addition to other stuff!

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 14:08 »
you can plant a few and leave them for 2 years with ut disturbing, from the end of 2nd year you can pull off biggest bulbs and leave the rest to continew for next year.

I have 2 beds grwing perenial garlic as said above. each statin has clump of garlic plants as I have not pulled of last years.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:03 »
you can plant a few and leave them for 2 years with ut disturbing, from the end of 2nd year you can pull off biggest bulbs and leave the rest to continew for next year.

I have 2 beds grwing perenial garlic as said above. each statin has clump of garlic plants as I have not pulled of last years.

Thanks White!

They're in a long tray now, and some are going to a chum, who'll be the next explosion in the village knowing how good a cook she is...!

xx
Last year's garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 09:58
by brokenglass
xx
Garlic in containers next year

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 11:21
by compostqueen
xx
last year's garlic regrowing

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 17:40
by Yorkie
xx
Last year's onions and garlic...

Started by kath77 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 16:31
by brendit

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 36 queries.