bald head - pecking

• 3 Replies

bb72

bald head - pecking
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:17 »
HI

had a quick look through a dozen or so pages and didnt see anything relating to this.

I have a dominant hen who chases the other girls or bullies her way into any tasty bugs that are raked up or treats scattered out.

Now most threads from what I can see dominant one appears to go for the vent but all the girls are fine however the area around the base of the comb is a different matter and 4 of my 5 are bald here(I have witnessed the dominant one going for here).

I am new to hen keeping and these are ex bats ,I was going to seperate the dominant one but was wary of upsetting the natural order they have plenty of space to free range but my concern is they are being bullied at night when they can't get away.

any advice would be appreciated.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: bald head - pecking
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:48 »
They do go for the comb but with it already being red you don't always see the damage.  I usually see the evidence on my feeders when there are smears of blood.

Best to separate the bully but keep her in sight of the others.  If all else fails I believe you can get a beak bit which will stop her being able to peck the other hens.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 21:37 »
I had that problem with one hen as well. I separated the bully but kept them all in sight of each other. A couple of weeks later I integrated her back with the others and they were all fine. The bullied hen got a chance to get her strength and condition back as well.
6 chickens, 1 Land Rover

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 22:59 »
Aww what a shame :( its tough to see isnt it? I had a hard time at first when my Speckledy pecked the heck out of my favourite girls, but everything has calmed down and each has a shot at being boss. I did see yesterday that you can buy beak bits aswell, they look a wee bit nasty to fit and I gather its quite triky to get the right size etc, but the reviews are great and theyre also very cheap (oh my goodness, a pun!). I guess if all else fails you could try them!
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

xx
bald red head

Started by magiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 22:23
by steelman
xx
My chickens got a bald head? Help

Started by shargi59 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 14:24
by shargi59
xx
chicken with bald, blooming head

Started by carsmarco252 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 21:31
by orchardlady
xx
pecking and bald patches

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 11:46
by camelliagirl

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.