Found a chick updated

• 20 Replies

PaulineM

Found a chick updated
« on: May 29, 2012, 21:15 »
Hi
My husband was walking our dogs over the fields today when he heard a "cheep cheep"  ???
Out from the undergrowth came a tiny white leghorn (I think)  :blink: It then tried to run away again, eventually he caught it and brought it home. There was no sign of Mum or any other chicks and there are no houses anywhere near where it was found  ::)
It played dead in his hands but as soon as we put it down in a stable it suddenly came to life and ran about  :lol:
It has since had some pellets and water  :)
Anyhow what do you all think, What age? Hen or Cock? Bantam or LF?

1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

PaulineM

Re: Found a chick!!! Age? Hen or Cock?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 21:17 »
I have to add that it looks much bigger in the photo's
It is actually quite tiny  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 21:37 »
Can't really say what age, but with that comb and wattles I would guess at cockerel, but with the size of it, perhaps a bantam?

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 22:55 »
My first instinct was cockerel but when I looked at my leghorn it has a massive comb and often gets mistaken as a cockerel and when I googled leghorn images I thought just maybe a hen  :wacko:
At least I don't already have a cockerel so if its a 'he' and he survives and then if 'he' behaves himself he can stay. I suppose time will tell  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 23:52 »
Hope its a girl Pauline, but whatever, he/she is so cute!!!    :)

Beano

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54 »
Oh he/she's lovely looking. If it gets to stay, maybe lucky might be an appropriate name.
El.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41 »
He/she is really lovely - just love the way it stands - seems to be saying - look at me.  :)  A very lucky bird that you and OH came along when you did.  :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 14:54 »
Suspect a cockerel due to the way you found it.  Call me cynical, but unfortunately there are some very unscrupulous poultry breeders out there.  And the comb and wattles look very red for the age of the bird, he/she doesn't look old enough to be at POL.  He/she is gorgeous though!  :)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 15:50 »
it looks like it is a miniture bird  :D
Ours are 17 weeks old but their combs and wattles are no where near as big or red. We also have a bantam cross who is dinky compared to the other hens. Either way it was lucky to be resuced
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

PaulineM

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 17:11 »
Hi GYO girl, we considered you idea that perhaps a breeder dropped it off, but then we thought if its still at an age were its hard to tell would a breeder dump it  :( and also would a breeder not be able to do the deed (if you know what i mean).  Its comb isn't as red as it appears in the photo's, quite pale actually. But then again thats maybe me clutching at straws  :lol:
Symonep, do you have leghorns?

Chicks seems to be doing fine today  :)

I agree that its comb is quite large but I don't think her legs are thick  :wacko:

PaulineM

Found chick - Update
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 20:49 »
Hi
As I posted a couple of days ago my hubby found a chick.  Researching more I'm more and more convinced that it is a leghorn rooster (probably a bantam).
My question is, what is the temperament of leghorn rooster? Are they very noisy?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Found a chick updated
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 22:33 »
sadly all cockerels have the ability to be noisy as do hens. You won't know if he/she will be noisy until  he grows up a little bit. If anybody else has cockerels near you he may try and compete with them when they start to crow in the mornings and evenings.
Staffies are softer than you think.

PaulineM

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13 »
We do have a cockerel somewhere nearby as I hear it now and again.  If its a cockerel I will just have to see how we get on, we do live in a rural area so not really worried about neighbours. What I am a bit concerned with is how some cockerels seem to be aggressive  :(
Does anyone reading this have a Leghorn bantam cockerel? What are they like  :wacko:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12 »
The only one I had was an Exchequer Leghorn cockerel.  He could be a bit noisy, but he wasn't as bad as some of my other cockerels have been.

He protected his ladies, and wasn't too agressive.  Don't know what your little white one will be like though.

Helenaj

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 14:01 »
I have a mottled Leghorn cockerel and my neighbour a white Leghorn and they are both quite gentle, but he did have one before that which was a complete psycho. I think it's just luck of the draw. Just get him used to you from day ! and hopefully you won't have any trouble - both the white and mottled leghorn were raised from chicks and the "psycho" one was brought in as an adult, so maybe raising from young is the way to go.

xx
Cheep Cheep - Updated with more photos for the chick fanclub

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 09:24
by babe
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Updated again ! I cant stop !

Started by stamford on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 22:50
by mumsy

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.