Broody hen

• 28 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Broody hen
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 19:40 »
We had no problems and have had 2 very healthy chicks but i will remember that if i get any more broody hens this year (fingers crossed i dont!!)
Learning new things every day
 :D
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

jhub

• jane
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 22:07 »
It's a huge learning process, exciting and scary and I'm still on the lower rungs of the ladder.
Best wishes

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42 »
Blimey if you are on the lower runs i am still on the ground  :blush: so much to learn and what a great place to find out information

Fiona55

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16 »
I have 2 broody Leghorns - who are sitting in the same nest box, despite there being 2 other nest boxes.  I do not want any chicks.  I keep moving them off the nest and shutting them out for as long as possible.  But I work so have to allow access for the other hens so as soon as the door opens they are straight back in the nest box.  My other 2 hens that are not broody but are still managing to lay in the nest box where the broody ones are sitting - that must be quite an amusing sight.  Can anyone suggest any other ideas to try and stop them being broody - any suggestions welcome - I do not have the room to really seperate them - although could put them in a large wire dog cage.  If I do this do I leave them in the cage all night or let them back into the hen house?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:57 »
yes they can both go in a dog cage (with layers pellets/mash and water). I don't leave mine overnight but others do - it is just a case of personal choice.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cheekychick22

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 15:26 »
Broody is doing well the others are still laying one of them on top of her but she just ignores her then pinches yhe egg

Casey76

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 16:21 »
You have to remove the eggs that the others are laying, otherwise they addle VERY quickly, and the smell of an exploding egg is not something you forget in a hurry!

cheekychick22

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 15:21 »
Dont worry i do lol i have yo pick her up and take them away i candled the eggs yesterday everything looking good so far

chicklady

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 19:29 »
Hi there
I have read allthe post on broody hens I have a silky just over a year old she started being broody 2days ago i do,nt wish too get anymore chicks so i need help what to do i,ve started lifting her out of the nest box and shutting up the coop but i think my other 3 chickens are attacking her why is this they used to get on well please help

cheekychick22

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 07:26 »
I would use some of the advice on this post. My broody tends to start the fights when she comes down for food. I have read the posts on this sight and others. If you don't want chicks you could put her away from the others and the nest box for a day or two untill her hormone level has come down I've just done this with a second broody cross fingers it's worked so far. Once her hormone levels are down you will see the scrapping die down and go away.

Skywise

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 15:40 »
My Speckledy has been broody for going on 3 weeks now.  Every morning I lift her out of the coop once the others have laid and shut the coop up so she can't get back in.  Every evening I open the coop so they can go to bed and she scuttles in and goes straight back on the nest box.  I've tried letting the others in and shutting her out but the noise she makes is horrific

I've also tried dipping her bottom in cold water several times a day and keeping her in a wire mesh cage.

Nothing's working.

I suppose all I can do now is wait it out . . . . . . .  :unsure:

cheekychick22

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 22:11 »
Update on my broody hen all six eggs have hatched today so cute. Mom is being really good and protecting her chicks my white Sussex is showing a lot of interest then gets bored and goes away away a quick peck from mom. I've just been given a 11 week old hen today and broody has adopted her as well which looks really funny trying to cuddle up to her and the broody putting her wing up to let her in. The other hens seem to love her as well which is good news.

Hopefully everything will be ok in the morning.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 20:14 »
That is great news, looking forward to some cute photos. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cheekychick22

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 22:26 »
Up date on chicks Alls well mom has brought chicks down to the main run but always forgets one I put it up or one of my other hens chases it up to the coop for me if I'm not around. It looks like the chicks have 4moms lol and they are growing very fast

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 32 queries.