Fox wounds and baldy butt!

• 6 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
Fox wounds and baldy butt!
« on: June 10, 2012, 13:31 »
My lovely RIR was attacked a week ago by mrs fox. We managed to scare it off before it killed her. She has a couple of nasty bite wounds on her back and is completely bald. No tail feathers, just neck and breast feathers left. Her wunds are recovering really well  and I think she will make a full recovery, as she is now back with the girls and back to normal. My question is, will her feathers ever grow back? Will she be feeling the cold? Poor girl.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

JMF

Re: Fox wounds and baldy butt!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 16:34 »
Hi one of our girls was attacked by a fox over five weeks ago - we got her inside but thought she was not going to make it - I nursed her back even drip feeding water with sugar with a syringe she also lost all of her back feathers - however she is now back with the flock, doing really well and feathers growing back she has even started laying eggs again.  Gave her extra protein to help get over the shock mealworms etc.  Hope yours improves and do not give up JMF

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 19:11 »
one of mine has lost her tail feathers when our pup nearly caught her. They will grow back but you may have to wait until they go through a moult  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 20:04 »

one of my girls is getting over  a fox attack, i'm using salt water on her wounds, should i be doing anything else?

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:15 »
Salt water is good. Purple spray will help to keep the flies and your other chooks off the wounds. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Rubyroo

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18 »
I suffered my 2nd fox attack in January, and lost a khaki duck, and 2 chooks. Several of my chickens were riddled with puncture wounds from the fox. My marans almost lost her rump as the fox bit her almost right through...it must have been agony for her, especially as she carried on laying just 2 days after her ordeal! My Welsummer had holes the size of 10p pieces on her back, my poor gold Orpi was the most traumatised..virtually stood rooted to the spot for 4 days petrified after the attack. Thankfully with time, and good care they all made a full recovery.
To help clean the wounds we got some 'hibiscrub' from the vets and vigourously washed the wounds. Tho i believe sterile water (boiled water from a kettle left to cool) mixed with salt = saline would be just as good. With the milder weather definately keep an eye on the wounds tho as fly strike could be disastrous.
With some tlc am sure your girls will make a full and fast recovery. Amazing how tough these chooks really are...

Kayleigh
A mixed flock of 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and 14 fertile eggs under broodies (fingers crossed).

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 19:09 »
I suffered my 2nd fox attack in January, and lost a khaki duck, and 2 chooks. Several of my chickens were riddled with puncture wounds from the fox. My marans almost lost her rump as the fox bit her almost right through...it must have been agony for her, especially as she carried on laying just 2 days after her ordeal! My Welsummer had holes the size of 10p pieces on her back, my poor gold Orpi was the most traumatised..virtually stood rooted to the spot for 4 days petrified after the attack. Thankfully with time, and good care they all made a full recovery.
To help clean the wounds we got some 'hibiscrub' from the vets and vigourously washed the wounds. Tho i believe sterile water (boiled water from a kettle left to cool) mixed with salt = saline would be just as good. With the milder weather definately keep an eye on the wounds tho as fly strike could be disastrous.
With some tlc am sure your girls will make a full and fast recovery. Amazing how tough these chooks really are...

Kayleigh
thanks Kayleigh, her feathers are now growing nicely and her wounds seem almost healed. What a traumatic ordeal! and the sound they make is horrid :(   if nothing else it has made me love my girls so much more (and also be more vigilant!) thanks x

xx
Wounds

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 18:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cockerel fighting wounds - how to treat him?

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 23:58
by nnbreeder
xx
Baldy hen

Started by indianrunner88 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 09:45
by Sassy
xx
baldy hen

Started by corkee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 08:10
by Craig69

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 37 queries.