What do you do with your plants when you go on holiday?

• 4 Replies

mikew4895

need a little bit of advice please...

I havent planted anything out yet as the rain had water logged my plot (I now have 2 raised beds).
I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks until the 14th June. Everything is in 2 plastic greenhouses at the moment and wasnt sure whether to plant some out. Although I have mesh around the beds for the rabbits I'm worried that the slugs will just destroy everything. What does everyone do when they go away? I dont want to come back and everything has died as I've put so much work in over the last month or so

Thanks

Mike

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What do you do with your plants when you go on holiday?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 18:28 »
Warmer weather forecast for next week + you live darn sarf + end of May ought to be the right time for planting out the tender stuff = I'd be starting to harden the plants off now ready to plant out before the holiday.

I suspect many of us are nervous and lacking confidence about the weather, but they've got to be planted out sometime in the next few weeks come what may - as for slugs, they are a potential problem whether you are home or away, just take suitable precautions (more mature plants are at less risk than new seedlings, although obviously some crops are more appealing to slugs than others.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 19:31 »
Find someone you trust and ask them to do the watering and keep an eye for slugs, etc. They might have to open the greenhouse for air and close it again, so choose the person carefully. Then offer to buy them a round or whatever when you get back. A small price for peace of mind.

mikew4895

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 13:40 »
I'll start to harden them all off this week. 
The only problem I was thinking is that if I was here I'd go out every night to check for slugs and hopefully keep the numbers down.
I've got someone who is able to water the plants and any other bits but because shes just had a knee op she cant be bending down to get the slugs. I'd also feel too bad asking her to do this as no doubt stress on her knee.
Keeping them in the greenhouse wont do them no damage would they? Would it just stunt there growth until I'm home? My greenhouse is in the menage which has rubber chips down so fingers crossed I havent had any slugs in there.
Also, rather than starting a new thread. My brussel sproats are in a large pot in the greenhouse. Should they not be in there and be left outside? They havent grown to much in a while
thanks
Mike

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 18:00 »
Buy some slug bait and set out little cups of it everywhere so your friend won't have to search for them.

The sprouts can be outside now but do let your friend know where they are and that they too need to be watered. The greenhouse will likely become too hot for them.

As for the other plants, as long as you have some sort of venting, the plants should be okay if your friend can water them well every few days. To aid her, perhaps have buckets of water ready in the greenhouse so she doesn't have to walk too much.

xx
Going on holiday..

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 17:39
by RJR_38
xx
Holiday plans

Started by Victoria Plum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2006, 18:37
by Victoria Plum
xx
Holiday potatoes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 13:08
by Goosegirl
xx
Holiday Watering

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 13:37
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 29 queries.