Holiday plans

• 3 Replies

Victoria Plum

Holiday plans
« on: May 06, 2006, 17:51 »
Hello All

Allotment is coming on ok, fighting with the weeds but gradually making headway with the clearance.

Potatoes have just popped up
Broadbeans are doing ok
Onions are sprouting well
some peas in and protected with netting
Some other seeds germinating, unfortunately I didn't write the labels in waterproof ink so I'm not sure what is what.

I also have the following which I've started off indoors and are now in a polythene greenhouse doing ok.
Runner beans - growing before my eyes
Sweetcorn - not quite as quick as the beans but ok
Courgettes - still quite little but growing fast
french beans - about 3 - 4 " high
pak choi seedlings in modules
Brassica seedlings in modules

We're off on holiday in 10 days time for a week and as we're new to the area don't have a local friend who could come and do some watering in our absence. Frosts can happen until the end of May down here (near Gatwick) there's a full moon on 15th (most likely night for the frost I'm told).

I need some advice on keeping everything alive while we're away.
Choices are - plant after the 15th and hope there's no more frost (considering for runner beans and sweetcorn only)

Other than that we have a small polythene greenhouse, a conservatory which when sunny is baking by day and freezing by night, a garage with a window although despite this it is quite dark.

Was thinking of putting french beans, courgettes, seedlings in the garage and watering well before we go - after that fingers crossed.

Any advice?
Gone Diggin'

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Holiday plans
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 18:26 »
Where did you hear that you'd get frost until the end of May? I'm in North London and I found a website that said our last frost date is in late April. In the past few years I've not remembered any frosts in May and have always planted out my runner beans in May.

You could look into capillary matting to put in the base of the seed trays (or in trays under the other things) and leave a wrapped strip of it into a nearby bucket. Then it won't dry out totally unless it can suck up a bucket of water in a week. That's what my inlaws did for all their potted plants and it worked well. I saw that homebase sells it too if you have one near you.

Runner beans can be planted direct now at least here in the South of England, as can the french beans.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Holiday plans
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 18:33 »
Last frosts up here are third week of May but  with the weather, who knows? I'd plant out as much as you can if I was you. Only thing to add to Heather's advice is that plants in shade will need a lot less water.

Don't worry about them while you are on holiday - it makes no difference so just enjoy your break.  Any room in your suitcase?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Victoria Plum

Holiday plans
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 18:37 »
Thanks for that, will try not to worry too much when I'm in the bar on the beach!

We are in a bit of a frost pocket here which I think is why there's a chance of a late frost.

No room in suitcase I'm afraid as i'm going to support OH in an Ironman competition so all available space is filled up with swimming, cycling and running paraphanelia!

xx
Going on holiday..

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 17:39
by RJR_38
xx
Holiday potatoes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 13:08
by Goosegirl
xx
What do you do with your plants when you go on holiday?

Started by mikew4895 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 18:00
by Trillium
xx
Tomatoes on holiday...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 21:16
by Growster...

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 36 queries.