Going on holiday..

• 11 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Going on holiday..
« on: February 15, 2013, 18:58 »
I go away on March 28th for 8 days. This is my first allotment year and I wasn't expecting to get one this year (hence the hol). If I was planting for the garden I would have planted mid-late march but now I am unsure. Whatbare people's opinions - Would I be best off planting mid march, and leaving seed trays in water etc and hoping or waiting until I get back in 2nd week of April?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Going on holiday..
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 19:45 »
I'd wait until you get back - if possible cover as much soil as you can so it's clear of weeds when you get back ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 20:40 »
The plot will be fine - I am pretty certain of that. I was thinking more about the sowing of seeds indoors etc

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 23:38 »
Is there someone you can leave seed trays with?

My mother-in-law looks after any delicate plants while I'm away. I drive out to her house with several boots full of seedlings!
Her partner is a keen gardener - he pots anything on for me and keeps an eye on things. :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30 »
Sadly not an option as the nearest gardener types I know are a couple of hours drive away :(

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04 »
We are away for 1 week, mid march.  i will plant out anything sown now in modules and i may just sow a few seeds just before i go to germinate while im away..if nothing comes of that then it doesn't matter.

the other thing i would say, is that i wouldn't consider not have a holiday because of the allotment...and more to the point..nor would Mrs Worm :mad: :blush:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 22:14 »
I am fortunate that everyone is kind at our allotments and offers to water your greenhouse as soon as you mention you are off on holiday.  Otherwise, the plants in the conservatory seem to manage with some water retaining fabric under them (an old towel will work too).  I don't rely on my brother to water - he drowns everything, bless him!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 22:39 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54 »
I go away on March 28th for 8 days. This is my first allotment year and I wasn't expecting to get one this year (hence the hol). If I was planting for the garden I would have planted mid-late march but now I am unsure. Whatbare people's opinions - Would I be best off planting mid march, and leaving seed trays in water etc and hoping or waiting until I get back in 2nd week of April?

If you have plenty of seeds in the packet I would sow some before, and if they don't do any good then sow more when you get back.
Also, have a look on the packet, and if they take a long time to germinate, then sow those before.
Trays left in the house out of direct sunshine will probably stay damp for a week if watered before you go.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:44 »
Leave the sowing until you get back, you do not want the disappointment of dead seedlings on your 1st attempt. If you are away for 2 weeks your later sowings will catch up no problem.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48 »
No-one has mentioned capillary matting yet as a way of keeping trays and pots watered (and I've not tried it myself) but there are some ideas in this thread which might be useful.

Edited to post correct link (not that anyone noticed!)   ::)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 17:47 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 16:25 »
I left some seedlings on capillary matting last year - never again!

I had really, really, leggy, flopping seedlings, other plants and trays went mouldy as obviously TOO wet and I had a problem with small flies in my kitchen for months!

I know others will rave about it and have had good experiences but not me -sorry.

It's worth a try if you want though RJR_38 :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 17:39 »
Thanks everyone  :) I think I will plant some and leave on damp towels as someone suggested and if they are dead when I get back I can always re-sow as I have plenty of seeds. After a day of glorious sunshine today it is all I can do to not start sowing this week  :)

xx
Holiday potatoes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 13:08
by Goosegirl
xx
What do you do with your plants when you go on holiday?

Started by mikew4895 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 18:00
by Trillium
xx
Holiday plans

Started by Victoria Plum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2006, 18:37
by Victoria Plum
xx
Holiday Watering

Started by Dagenham Dave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 08:18
by Audy70

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 30 queries.