How to fertilise potatoes

• 9 Replies

zestymordant

How to fertilise potatoes
« on: May 04, 2012, 15:35 »
From 18th-22nd April I planted my main crop of potatoes.

I've got it written down somewhere that I should fertlise this Sunday and then every four weeks after. If this is the case how do I fertilise? I have some white powder that I mix in with water, some FBB and some Suphate of Potash.

I've heard the Sulphate of Potash is supposed to be best for tatties but I was wondering how I apply it? I don't really see what sprinkling it on will do when the tatties are so deep in the ground.

Thank you :)

zestymordant

Re: How to fertilise potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 16:09 »
Just to clarify I know how to apply the one I mix with water, but everything I read about the SoP and the FBB seems to state that it's something you fertilise with before planting anything.

Can I just sow the SoP, rake it in, and water?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 17:24 »

If you cannot make such an exact date, don't worry.  A day or a week isn't going to condemn your spuds to everlasting hunger,  gardening is wonderfully flexible.

Just a handfull of 'the stuff' sprinkled round the base of your spuds and let the rain wash it down to where it is needed.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 18:08 »
I've got it written down somewhere that I should fertlise this Sunday and then every four weeks after. If this is the case how do I fertilise? I have some white powder that I mix in with water, some FBB and some Suphate of Potash.

2 questions: Did you fertilise them when you planted them, and what is the white powder?

I fertilise when planting, then a sprinkling of Growmore when I earth up (probably 2 or 3 times in the approximately 12 weeks of growth of my first earlies - less would be OK in more fertile soil than mine.) Can't use BFB in my garden because the foxes dig it up!  :wacko:

You say yours are maincrop, which will be in the ground longer - I'd use the BFB first because it takes longer to act - adding it when earthing up will keep it nearer to the roots and covering it up means it will become incorporated more quickly.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

zestymordant

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 20:35 »
Thanks both for your help.

I did what Kleftiwallah said but I'm not sure I did it right, I'll tell you what I did in a moment.

To answer JayG's questions:

I fertilised with FBB two weeks before planting, and the white powder is "soluble multi-purpose plant feed" from Wilkos, it says use 2 scoops per gallon per square metre (once a week which seems a bit much!)

I had to go to my allotment to clarify what the white powder was so I thought I may as well fertilise the potatoes whilst I was down there. In one plot I used two handfuls per row of FBB and on the other plot I did the same with the Sulphate of Potash.

Thing is, I then looked on the back of the SoP pack and it recommended using 35g per square metre but my two handfuls per row seem to have used half a 1.5kg box! Is this serious overkill?

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 22:29 »
Am I doing things wrong?  I manure the bed the previous autumn, then leave the spuds to get on with it.  I don't add anything else and seem to get good crops.

Should I be adding something else to do better still?

Spuds are one of the crops I more or less leave to get on with things by themselves.

starry

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 22:48 »
Am I doing things wrong?  I manure the bed the previous autumn, then leave the spuds to get on with it.  I don't add anything else and seem to get good crops.

Should I be adding something else to do better still?

Spuds are one of the crops I more or less leave to get on with things by themselves.
I am with you AnneB I manure in the autumn add some growmore 2 weeks before planting and thats more or less it might throw on a bit more growmore but thats about it, and I always have loads of spuds ::) 
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:10 »
Likewise.

Initial manuring. That's it - got on with it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35 »
The only other thing I do other than the chicken pellets in when planted is cut loads of comfrey and lay it over the rows, it helps to keep the weeds down too

AndyRVTR

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 14:55 »
Ditto the above... I always manure at planting time and that's normally it, but this year I will be feeding with Growmore too, my early spuds have already had a feed this week, (planted 10th March). My maincrop will get a feed in about a months time and that should do them until harvest time.

xx
When to fertilise?

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 09:23
by courgette
xx
to fertilise or not to fertilise....

Started by Lis-M on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 21:30
by ilan
xx
Do I need to fertilise?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 18:56
by gobs
xx
When to fertilise spuds

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 13:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 31 queries.