Asparagus help

• 17 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Asparagus help
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:41 »
Bought 6 small plug pots asparagus from Aldi and have as their advice said pottted them on in a greenhouse. I am about to prepare a bed for them. I guess I plant them out when the roots are a bit more extensive and let them grow this year. Will I be able to harvest next year or will I Have to wait longer?
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

DrGreenthumb

• lake garda and ice cream.....yep
Re: Asparagus help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51 »
I believe its two years before you can harvest, might be as well doing a google search for more info
If I plant them, will they grow?

boogaloo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 13:12 »
Pretty sure it's nothing in the first year, almost nothing in the second year (2 or 3 max) then only a handful third year. After that it's fair game, but give them time to regrow before winter.

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 14:01 »
Patience is the key with asparagus. Let the plants get really well established and they'll give you years of good service. Stunt them in the first three years and they'll struggle and give a poor crop.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 14:15 »
As soon as your new asparagus bed is ready, plant them. As said, the roots need to spread and grow and pots are just too limiting.

If your soil is fantastic, you might get some pickings in the third year, but the fourth year is your true harvest year.

Selfsufficientme

• Self Sufficient Me
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 14:44 »
I was tempted to harvest some of mine this year (year two) as some stalks were as thick as my finger but I decided to leave them grow on. I'm definately chopping mine next spring/summer  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 15:10 »
I'm really fed up now.  This is year three and I thought this was the year my patience would pay off. ::)  Oh well, something is better than nothing. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Christine

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:28 »
I remember posting about noticing my first asparagus spears showing well over a month ago - since then I've had just two portions off them (10 mature crowns.)  :nowink:

They're coming, just verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly and that won't change until the weather warms up.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12 »
Mine are just about making an effort.

They were 1year old crown planted last year, the destruction said harvest a few spears this year. I've had 1 spear off 10 crowns, although this one might not see tomorrow  :tongue2:

(ps. ignore the weeds - I just put them there so everyone would feel better about their own weedy plot  ;)  :lol: )
spearforlunch.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30 »
That's pretty good for the first year Lardman!  :)

Because of the unpredictable weather we've been having the last few years I don't rely on the traditional advice to harvest until the longest day - even though mine have been in for at least five years I always make sure there are at least three more spears coming up from each crown when I cut the others to make sure I don't risk removing the last ones the poor plant has the strength left to produce that year!  ;)

savbo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26 »
... I always make sure there are at least three more spears coming up from each crown when I cut the others to make sure I don't risk removing the last ones the poor plant has the strength left to produce that year!  ;)

good tip JayG!

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 15:45 »
I was surprised to find that the few spears poking out of my garden this year succumbed to frost damage. It's been quite cool here this year and only just starting to warm up. A shame to lose them that way but that's how it is with nature.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 22:15 »
In my experience i'd get them in the ground asap, the roots need the space to spread. they are not pot plants.
Leave all alone for 2 seasons, deep dug bed and no weeds.
I've been picking mine now, after a 2yr wait, for about 4wks, couple of spears/plant/week. I thuoght sweet corn and peas where best picked fresh till I STARTED EATING MY ASPARAGUS. Patience and preperation definately pays off with this crop!!!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:59 »
Peas are the best crop fresh.

Where you probably went wrong was cooking them!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus

Started by catherineirvine on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 05:56
by gobs

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 37 queries.