Asparagus

• 7 Replies
Asparagus
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:21 »
Hello,

We planted some asparagus last year and followed the instructions to trim them down for this year where we should get a crop.

As expected they have shot away with the recent rain and sun. Does anyone know how best to protect them? Is there any common pests that will come after the asparagus?

Thanks

Happy Gardening

Cath

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50 »
Mine are totally unprotected, get an occasional slug nibble, but that's all.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

Asparagus
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 15:31 »
My climate is worse here (heavy snows) and we never protect asparagus; they're too tough. Not sure if the UK gets asparagus beetles, but we do. They look similar to ladybugs but are longer.

woodburner

Asparagus
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 15:53 »
"trim them down" ??  :? I have always understood that you leave plants for at least a  year or two to build up, and not to cut the foliage either. (Although a little won't hurt, it is counter productive.)  :?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Asparagus
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 15:56 »
Bit of a hijack question - we planted asparagus bed this year - should we see any growth? There are weeds coming up in the bed and I have been leaving it as I can't see where the asparagus is as nothing is showing through yet.

Hampshire Hog

Asparagus
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 17:03 »
mdueal-asparagus doesn't like weeds :shock:

Try to hand weed the bed removing all the obvious weeds. The asparagus will appear first as pretty thin spears coming up but can take a few months depending on the weather and how deep the soil is in the bed. Once you see/identify the first spears then remove the rest of the weeds and keep bed as weed free as possible. :wink:

Good luck....it's worth it in the end!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

pushrod

Asparagus
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 23:41 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
"trim them down" ??  :? I have always understood that you leave plants for at least a  year or two to build up, and not to cut the foliage either. (Although a little won't hurt, it is counter productive.)  :?

You don't harvest any stalks in the first year but cut them all back at the end of the summer to stop the females dropping seed/berries.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

gobs

Asparagus
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:56 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
Bit of a hijack question - we planted asparagus bed this year - should we see any growth? There are weeds coming up in the bed and I have been leaving it as I can't see where the asparagus is as nothing is showing through yet.

Yes, they should grow in the first year. One showing, hand weed carefully around the crowns as new shoot buds form on the fleshy roots.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus Bed - to keep or not to keep!

Started by plot53b on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 20:55
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.827 seconds with 28 queries.