i havent seperated my broody??

• 4 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
i havent seperated my broody??
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:28 »
hi

I was given my chooks so havent really researched Hen keeping!!

My hens (i have two) are bantam type, but they are both sitting on a 11 eggs, I have read on here that many of you with broody hens have seperated, do you think its too late now? or do you think that they are both sitting the chicks will be ok.

My eggs have been under for between 30 and 10 days - do i have to wait until the 10 day old egg is around 21 days before I get any hatching. I havent been lifting them off either, (scared they will peck, im not very confident with flapping birds!!) they have just started coming off again to eat and drink but have been on for quite a while? I will make sure that they come off now.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: i havent seperated my broody??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57 »
Did you buy fertile eggs? Do you have a cockerel?or are they eggs that you hens have laid themselves? Why are they between 30 and 10 days as they should have been collected and then put under at the same time.
Staffies are softer than you think.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 19:36 »
thanks for the response Joyfull, I have made a few postings about my chickens and eggs but havent had many/any responses, hence not knowing what to do.

I do have a cockerel so im sure the eggs are fertile, we have a mother hen who laid one egg and sat on it, then 21 days later we had a chicken! The chicken started to get broody and we assumed that she would just sit on one egg as before, but she laid 3 of her own, the mother has also been laying in the same place and we know 10 (one was outside the bundle the other day!!) thats why there is an age difference. I really dont know what to do, they are both not moving much at all, its quite sad!

Any hints will be appreciated!

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 19:52 »
it's very unusual for a hen to just sit on 1 egg they normally lay a few and sit on those and any other hens eggs that are laid nearby. the chances are the eggs were all laid within a week of each other. Just leave them together now (it is probably too late to divide them up) and lift them both off twice a day so they can eat, drink, stretch their legs and poop. Nature will do the rest.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 20:00 »
I put my broodys in separate hutches as they were stealing each others eggs.  I put their food and water in the area with mesh door.  Each day I cleared away the poo and kept an eye on how much food had been eaten.  This way I knew they were getting off the nest without having to watch them 24/7.  A couple of days before hatch was due I changed their feed to chick crumb and put the food and water within reach of their nests.

It will be too late as Joyfull said for you to move the hens so best to leave be and let nature take its course.  Good luck with your hatch.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 37 queries.