is this normal new chicks havent moved since i got them about 4 hrs ago!

• 19 Replies

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
Hi me again!

My 3 Light Sussex that I bought today are in the house as they are 4 - 4 1/2 weeks old.  The breeder said they would be fine indoors as he was going to put them out soon but since putting them in the large crate in here they haven't moved at all and are laying down. 

I've sprinkled some crumbs on the floor, and they have water and a feeder.  I thought at first it was because they're scared but they're just laying there.  They were fine at the breeders being normal chicks and it's warm in here. I tried to push them along gently but they won't move.

Will they settle or is something wrong ?  xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
They really should have a heat lamp still at night especially at 4 weeks.  You may think it's warm, but at that age they should still be kept at around 29-30C.

You said they are in a crate didn't you?  They could be getting a draft from somewhere?  wrap an old sheet or newspaper around the crate to stop any chills, and if you've got a table lamp, stand it on top of the cage to create a bit of warmth.

Probably they were with lots of other chicks?  So they would have more warmth than just the 3 of them.  Hope they will be ok

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
thanks grannie ive loads of blankets on there and there right next to the radiator said he was going to put them out soon, dog broke my lamp when mine were about 4/5 weeks old and they were fine, wouldnt have got them if he would have told me as i told him i had no lamp and he said they would be fine in the house. there still lay down and not doing anything and not making a sound but they feel warm. thort it migh be just the shock of moving etc. will get o/h to het a 60w bulb on way home for them, heatings staying on till he comes back xx

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
hi o/h been in a few shops and tesco and they dont do the old fashioned bulbs anymore :mad:, all i have are 11w and 8w  energy saving ones in the house would they do till tommorow till i can get round the shops to see if i can find one x

snow white

When I first got mine they were 12 weeks old.  They spent the first day huddled together in a corner.  They wouldn't come out the coop for three days.  And they were still nervous for a couple of weeks.  Then they grew in confidence and where soon normal curious chooks.  Its because they are babies and its all strange for them.   Adult birds adapt quicker.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
thanks snow white ive been searhing the house like a nutter and finaly found a bulb! :D ones cheeping now loudly :wacko: and ive done them a bit of scarmbled egg with a drop of maple syrup but they wont eat it so scattered it on the floor, one is v vocal god help me with my horrible neighbours might have to move them yet thank you again xx

GrannieAnnie

from reading your reply, could they be too warm?  That could make them lethargic.

Snow white could be right, they may just be frightened, but I must say I've never had that with chicks, but then most of mine I either bred myself or raised from day old.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
they are all fine now thank you everyone!. been eating and drinking and messing about :D. there cute little things but have there baby feathers on there necks and heads still so i wonder if they are acutally 4 weeks old or younger. there havig a play now running around and trying to fly x

Springlands

Phew!!. Have been reading this thread and worrying about your little chicks. Good to hear they are OK.  :)

GrannieAnnie

Awww, pleased they have brightened up a bit.  They may not get their full feathers until at least 6 weeks old, and I've even had some chicks that took longer than that.

Hopefully the weather will start getting warmer soon so they can go outside.

These were mine at 26 days old in 2010, do they look similar?
IMG_0489.JPG
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 13:34 by GrannieAnnie »

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
thanks springlands they are ok asleep now for a bit :D yes granny the do look simelar, but mine have less black on there necks theres hardly any on there at all. the guy said they are hens but if any turn out to be boys we can take them back and swap them but he said hes usual accurate as he mainly breeds sussex and a few others. the wynadottes are settleling in but ones a bit bigger and bullys the smaller one esp when theres corn about x

splash101

just for reference, the pounds shops still do the lightbulbs you require   :)

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
hi thanks splash i will have a nosy and get a few in when i go to town  :D could you buy a normal old fashioned bulb for newly hatched chicks and just use one in a lamp. never tried it but with the daft dog trashing my old lamp it would be good to know and what watt if this is possible. i will be getting some more in the future! xxx

Sassy

. the guy said they are hens but if any turn out to be boys we can take them back and swap them but he said hes usual accurate as he mainly breeds sussex and a few others. the wynadottes are settleling in but ones a bit bigger and bullys the smaller one esp when theres corn about x

Light Sussex are notoriously difficult to sex at that age! :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

splash101

Yes you can use the old bulbs for newly hatched chicks.

You would need a 60w bulb. Anything less wont give off enough heat for newly hatched chicks.

xx
Are these poos normal for chicks? Help!!

Started by Fredschook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 21:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
baby chicks have green peee is this normal????

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 10:20
by rachelr
question
I have had my chickens 3months and havent had 1 egg yet?

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 00:15
by Lindeggs
xx
i havent seperated my broody??

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 20:00
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 36 queries.