Grafted Plants.

• 6 Replies

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
Grafted Plants.
« on: April 08, 2012, 15:25 »
Hi, what does everyone think to these grafted toms, peppers plants etc and are they easy to look after? I'm  interested in giving them a go!

mattwragg94

Re: Grafted Plants.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 15:29 »
i have never bought them due to the price - if they where cheeper i would!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 17:30 »
Got them coming at work in a week or so  :)  Didn't have them last year, but did the year before and planted a couple of tomatoes up as a demo for customers.  They were very prolific and as easy as a normal tomato. The flavour was OK - I wouldn't rave about them, but certainly better than a shop bought offering.  They probably got overwatered and underfed in a busy bedding department tbh and that wouldn't have helped  ;)

Haven't tried the peppers or cucumbers but heard good reviews from customers.  The baby cukes in particular seem to have gone down well  :) 

Mutantk

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 21:39 »
My Uncle did grafted toms in his greenhouse 2 years ago and they were so successful/prolific/tasty he did 3 times the amount last year plus grafted peppers and grafted aubergines - again, all fantastic.  This year he has ordered even more including grafted cucumbers and to be honest, my aunt is worried he may trade her in for a grafted variety  ;)
Worth noting he grows ALL grafted stuff in the greenhouse.

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 22:17 »
hmm i might have to look into the cuc grafting

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 00:55 »
If you would like to have a go at grafting your own you can get the seeds for growing the rootstck tomato plants from moles seeds here in the UK. One of the variety's is Aegis.

There are quite a few vids on youtube on how to do it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:01 »
They arrived at work and we have double stemmed grafted tomatoes as well as the normal stuff.  Not cheap at £5.99 but may have to plant one in the veg area when it warms up a bit outside just to see how it does  :)  One of the up sides of my job is I get to play with the stock - purely in the interests of research natch  ;)

We have the Sutton's range and according to the bumf they emailed us, they have new varieties this year designed for max flavour as well as yield.  Certainly the toms do look a different mix of varieties although I recognise a few names.  The aubergines, cukes and peppers are the same but as I said, had customers raving about them.  Cukes were being snatched off the trolley as I unwrapped them at £3.99 a shot :blink:

xx
grafted plants

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 21:35
by allot2learn
xx
Grafted Plants

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 10:00
by Markw
xx
how and why - Grafted plants

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 16:22
by Jamrock
xx
Grafted tomato plants

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 23:34
by gogoagogo

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 29 queries.