Plastic bottles for watering

• 16 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Plastic bottles for watering
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:45 »
Since I can't use a hose this year, I want to try the upended pop bottle thing to water at least the bigger thirsty plants like courgette and squash. I've never used this trick before, and was wondering whether you need to do anything to slow the water down, or just pour it in the top and let it run straight through.

mattwragg94

Re: Plastic bottles for watering
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:47 »
i suppose you could keep the bottle top on and then prick the bottle with pins ?- which would release the water more slowly - giving the plant a chance to soak it up

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:50 »
I bought a couple of things that you push into the bottle neck to slow the water down, but they don't work! So I just water straight into a bottle now when I do use them.

I think the idea is just to get the water underneath and straight to the roots.  We've also got some old down pipe here which I'm going to ask Brian if I can nick, I think they might be easier to bury than a more flimsy bottle.

Agatha

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:50 »
I mulch round mine with cardboard followed by grass clippings which helps to keep the moisture in.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 13:05 »
I use a piece of old washing up scourer plastic foam stuffed into the neck of the bottle, then push a thin stick through from inside the bottle into the soil to hold it upright.

Works OK most of the time (if it drains out too quickly I chuck a bit of soil in to plug the "leaks"!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 16:17 »
I was thinking (yea i do that too much!) if maybe you fill the bottle up with newspaper, it will stop the water gushing out, and soak it up as well, so it might feed it the water slowly? probably wont work, but its a thought
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 16:55 »
I lined some big pots with newspaper one year before I put the compost in to slow down water rushing through and it sort of composted into a solid layer and flooded the pots  :(

Think JayG's idea of washing up scourer or maybe a bit of old rag might be a better bet  :)

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 17:41 »
I leave the screw top on the plastic bottle and drill a small 1/8th hole in it, the water/liquid feed still comes out just slower than through an open neck.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 17:59 »
or....

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 18:01 »
Rather than one 1/8" hole I drill half a dozen 1/16" holes but whatever you think.  There is a tendancy for the bottle top to press against the soil in the bottom of the hole and seal off the holes.  

I lift the bottle up just a smidge to make sure there is a gap.  Don't cut all the base of the bottle off as the bottle goes all 'wobbly',  I use a 1 1/2" hole cutter then there is still support to the bottle's base.     Good luck.   ::)   Cheers,     Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Shadrak

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 18:05 »
Could you not freeze the water in the bottle then as it thaw's out you should get a slow release.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 18:06 »

What, and worry ourselves sick about frost damage all through the summer ? ? ?     :D

Cheers,     Tony.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 19:00 »

I got some 6 pint milk cartons.

Cut the tops off.

Then made a hole slightly smaller than a hosepipe in the screw top

Then put a piece of old hosepipe through the  top.

Then cut hosepipe to required length (some of the bottles are screwed to the supports of my fruit trees and then run to about 6 inches below soil level, put small stone in bottom of pipe to slow water flow(or soil will be washed away)and some small holes just before end of pipe,made with cordless drill.

The rasps have bottles screwed to each end of the supports,the hosepipe then runs from these about 6 inches below soil level,along the length of the rows.

In the rasps  the hosepipe has small holes in the underside made with a cordless drill along its length.

I then fill the cartons with water and it goes straight to the roots.

I'll be using this method for peas,runner beans, courgettes squash and pumpkin

Kim50

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 19:08 »
I used this method last year for my more thirsty plants.  Feeding and extra wartering if needed is then targetted directly to the roots.  Worked well for me, so will do again this year. 

LilacSandy

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 19:21 »
I cut the bottom off of pop bottles upturn and bury the neck in the soil next to the plant.  I put in a couple of stones and then fill 1/3 with soil. This keeps the bottles upright and stops them blowing away and the water seeps slowly down to the roots.

xx
Puzzled about plastic bottles

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2006, 20:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Green plastic pop bottles

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 19:54
by mashbintater
xx
Plastic bottles on canes

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 21:05
by Elaine G
xx
Using plastic bottles as mini cloches?

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 23:05
by wendycas

Page created in 0.758 seconds with 30 queries.