Hen being pecked

• 9 Replies

Raven81

Hen being pecked
« on: March 25, 2012, 17:58 »
After all the time I have spent on this forum I should already know the answer to my query.  I have got home from work today to find one of my hens free ranging.  Mr Raven said the others were attacking her and that was the easiest way to separate her.

She has been moulting on her back end for the psast couple of weeks but there is no blood showing or anything.  She is the second highest of 4 in the pecking order.

Her beak is covered in blood and seems to have some sort of damage to it, not sure if she hurt it first or the damage is from the others.   She is happily eating and drinking, tho she is shaking her head a bit after drinking.

I am going to get some purple spray tomorrow, as no where is open on a Sunday evening, but my question is as to whether I should put her in the coop or not.  My instinct is to wait til the others are sleeping and then put her back, but there is an awful lot of blood in the run.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hen being pecked
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 18:03 »
She may be ill and thats why the sudden pecking, so I would be inclined to keep her away for a day or so and see how she does.  The beak injury sounds a bit suspect as well.  Could you get a pic on here and see what everyone makes of it?  :)

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 18:51 »
Right lets see if this will work
hen small 2 (340x309).jpg

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 18:53 »
And this one.  I feel a bit guilty as she keeps going up to the run looking in.
hen small (800x655) (640x524) (500x409) (350x286) (340x278) (320x262).jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 20:32 »
That looks like a nasty peck to me  :(  Personally I would keep her away from the rest until you get that purple sprayed, as they will go for it again.

If you put her in a box and keep her dark, she will settle tonight and not miss her friends.  Assuming she eats and drinks in the morning as seems well in herself, I would spray her and see if you can get her back in the run  :)

Raven81

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20 »
Thanks Newshoot, She is in the run with the others at the mo, eating and drinking fine. 

Am nervous as we have to leave them unsupervised for an hour but unfortunately none of us can change our plans.  At the moment the others are treating her as normal.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 20:39 »
Hope all was calm Raven.   They really are horrible to each other at times  ::) 

Having seen the injury that explains why you saw a lot of blood.  Injuries round the comb, nostrils and wattles bleed like crazy.  Then the blood gets the rest going and it can turn nasty very quickly.  Glad your girlie has bounced back and is OK  :)

Raven81

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 21:12 »
She has been back with the others all day and they have left her alone! I was so worried yesterday and am so relieved now!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41 »
Phew  :)  Hopefully a one off  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53 »
Could she have injured herself trying to peck at something through wire fence?  Some of my female quail had cuts above their beaks trying to escape the amorous male!

Glad she is recovering.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sad
hen pecked??

Started by cluckie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:23
by bantam novice
xx
hen pecked

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 14:45
by nic n dave
xx
hen pecked

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:21
by lucylou
xx
A pecked at hen

Started by shoppingqueen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 15:42
by Vember

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 32 queries.