Enviromesh tunnel - cropping suggestions please

• 2 Replies

Agatha

Enviromesh tunnel - cropping suggestions please
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:10 »
I 'inherited' an enviromesh tunnel from the previous tenants.  About 5 feet by 10 feet.  The first year I grew tomatoes but they didn't crop as well or taste as good as the ones in the greenhouse or in tubs against the house.  Last year I used it for my blueberries in pots, so that the birds wouldn't get the fruit...but the voles did instead  ::) & as it is so far from the house, the bushes got a bit neglected after cropping -1 is dead & the other four look awful  :ohmy:.  Have just rescued them & brought them up to the patio for a bit of tlc. 

So...ideas for this year please, as I feel I'm not making good use of this tunnel so far.  Does anyone else have an enviromesh tunnel & if so what crops have been successful?  Preferably stuff that can grow direct in the ground as it's a long way from the waterbut, so don't want to have to water too often!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Spana

Re: Enviromesh tunnel - cropping suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42 »
I'd use it for brassicas  myself.  Suppose it would also be good for   carrots if you're troubled with carrot root fly. :) Anything that flying pests go for really :happy:

Agatha

Re: Enviromesh tunnel - cropping suggestions please
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:48 »
Great idea!  My brassicas are decimated by the deer/pigeons/caterpillars but not touched by the voles, so they will be the ideal crop.

My only carrot problem is - yes, you guessed it - the voles, so I'll leave those outside, as the tunnel would just provide the voles with protection against predators!

xx
Inter cropping

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 18:38
by flowerlady
xx
inter cropping

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 22:22
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Second Cropping Potatoes

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 19:58
by purplebean
xx
catch cropping

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 00:15
by WG.

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 36 queries.