Inter cropping

• 11 Replies

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Inter cropping
« on: February 14, 2008, 16:27 »
I'm reading a lot about inter-cropping (also catch-cropping and companion planting). I have looked on this site but can't seem to find a link with further info on inter-cropping...
I am interested in finding out what crops can be successfully grown together and what follows what in the beds, to maximise the space on my plot.
Anyone?

dawninspain

Inter cropping
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 17:13 »
My understanding of inter-cropping is planting quick growing things (like say lettuce or raddishes) between the rows of slow growing things that will be taking up the ground for a long time (like leeks, main crop onions, brassicas).

Generally the quick growing crops like lettuce don't have a place in a strict crop rotation but can be fitted in where ever theres space.

Hampshire Hog

Inter cropping
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 18:03 »
Nipper the 3 sisters is an interesting version of planting first plant sweetcorn then a bit later plant beans ready to grow up them as well as squash for ground cover. Comes from native americans. I have done s/corn + borlotti beans worked well.

Good luck :)

HH
Keep digging

Trillium

Inter cropping
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 21:23 »
Catch cropping would be say, a quick early crop like peas and soon as they're mostly done, pull them out and immediately plant perhaps cabbages, leeks or something that prefers a later season which you've got waiting in pots.
Can't say I've seen much written about it, it's more or less logic - and timing to have the 2nd crop ready to be planted.

If you're on an allotment, ask around your neighbours to find who is really into that and get some tips from that person.

Rob the rake

Inter cropping
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 00:38 »
Quote from: "Hampshire Hog"
Nipper the 3 sisters is an interesting version of planting first plant sweetcorn then a bit later plant beans ready to grow up them as well as squash for ground cover. Comes from native americans. I have done s/corn + borlotti beans worked well.

Good luck :)

HH

Doesn't it make the beans difficult to harvest, especially if your corn is grown in blocks as recommended? I would have thought it makes them hard to spot. Am I missing something, perhaps? (scratches head...) :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

paintedlady

Inter cropping
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:21 »
Quote from: "Hampshire Hog"
Nipper the 3 sisters is an interesting version of planting first plant sweetcorn then a bit later plant beans ready to grow up them as well as squash for ground cover.

I planted sweetcorn and squash together last year as a trial.  I don't know what happened to the sweetcorn (possibly the cold wet weather) but it barely grew 2 feet tall but the squash went rampant! :shock:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
INTERCROPPING
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 13:26 »
I am short of space at my allotment and regularly plant potatoes at regulation spacing (rows 2 ft early, 2' 6" maincrop apart) but plant other crops (cabbages, broad beans, calabrese. parsnips etc) between the rows.   Although I probably lose a proportion of my potato crop as a result, I consider the system gains overall.   A full crop of potatoes would mean that I would need extra space to grow cabbages, broad beans, calabrese and parsnips.

Hampshire Hog

Inter cropping
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 18:01 »
Rob the borlotti have red stripes on pods so they are fairly easy to see.
Might be harder if you have ground cover too. Traditional method was to harvest the beans for dry beans to use in winter therefore you harvest the beans after the sweetcorn has cropped.

cheers HH :)

Rob the rake

Inter cropping
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:48 »
Thanks for that HH.

gobs

Inter cropping
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:57 »
I don't know if the Indians had Borlotti beans, but anyhow if you are growing them for dried beans they are not stripy anymore. :)

This stuff is for a different climate methinks, though. It gotta be summer squash, ie marrow and corguette here to work, so as not to trod on them to harvest dried beans. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

Inter cropping
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:06 »
they native indians probably used climbing beans, which climbed up the corn, so no picking problems

I grow all sorts with my beans and corns, sweet peas, mange touts, lettuces at the base, chives, sunflowers and squashes (which can climb too - sort of)  Mine are generally planted in lots of poo so they get well fed from the off

Intercropping is a great way of getting more out the plot and utilising space. I don't particularly like looking at bare soil but I know many of the plotters do. Little Gem lettuces make good space fillers, and I grow mine from seed and plant them out when they're big enough.  Oriental leaf and lettuces mixes are ace. Spring onions too

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Inter cropping
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 18:38 »
Native Indians would have had anasazi beans and when I grew them they climbed beautifully ... also had squash and nasturiums underneath in the undergrowth !!
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

xx
inter cropping

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 22:22
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Ideas for inter-cropping please

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 09:29
by celjaci
xx
Inter Cropping Asparagus

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 18:07
by Trillium
xx
Inter-planting Strawberries?

Started by SimonWray on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 18:33
by kingston boy

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 36 queries.