Chilli out already

• 15 Replies

BazTheGardener

Chilli out already
« on: March 22, 2012, 19:03 »
Hi I tried over wintering two chilli plants and one started to regrow about four weeks ago but flowered after a week or so. Now it has two chill's on it and expecting a few more. Thought it would take ages to flower.  :) :D
Anyone else got any chill's yet.
First Time Veg grower

Totty

Re: Chilli out already
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 19:14 »
I tried to overwinter two. One died, the other has been repotted and is in the greenhouse. It has a few small leaves so im fairly sure its coming on. Nowhere near yours though, well done!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 19:15 »
Yes, my "accidentally" overwintered cayenne peppers have been romping away for several weeks now and have several unripe chillies and yet more flowers on them.  :)

Not tried overwintering before so I don't know how long this will last, but I'm certainly not going to try and stop them doing their own thing!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

teabelly

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 22:29 »
Lots of new growth but no flowers (or chillies) yet.

We have a Jalapeņo and a Habanero   :)

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 22:40 »
I had an unnoticed Monkey Face chilli on its way, until I pruned the plant a couple of days ago! All my other over wintered plants are doing well, trimmed some, hard cut back the others so will be interesting to see what happens  :)

Edit - my usual poor spelling!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:47 by galen »
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 14:27 »
How are you overwintering them? I have just bought a new propogator, would this be a good winter use for it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 14:57 »
no need for a propagator, windowsill is fine  :)

My pepper was doing well on greenhouse during day, indoors at night - but last night I forgot to bring it in and it went down to 4C. We'll see what it thinks of that in a day or so  :nowink:

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 21:25 »
Same as MOS, windowsills for me - fortunately got loads of south facing ones, so all my chillies have been grown as "house plants" from the word go. Won't have indoor space for all the 15 seedlings that came up last week, 100% germination just my luck !!  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 13:20 »
The sweet red pepper plant survived the cold night, has had some flowers on it and now has 3 small fruit  YAY
so it is well worth over-wintering them IMO. This year's ones are only about 4 ins high so far, so it will be a while to go before they flower/fruit ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 13:51 »
I've been putting some of my seedlings out in the daytime, as well as a chilli I'd overwintered. Not once but twice I've forgotten to bring the chilli back in, with temps down to about 3 degrees. I thought it would kill it, but it's absolutely fine. All the new growth looks as healthy as anything, no droopiness at all.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 14:33 »
These are my two overwintered cayenne peppers which have been on the spare bedroom windowsill ever since they were sown about Feb last year (they do get the occasional brief change of scenery when somone comes to stay though!)

I hoiked them out of the trough sometime in Jan I think, gave them a light trim, replaced the compost around them and that's it - they don't seem to have minded and look like they will produce at least as much as the 2 flushes of chillies they managed last year.  :)
Overwintered cayenne 11-4-2012.JPG

sushi

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 19:20 »
Hi folks, I've been lurking around the forum some time so hello.

I have over wintered a ceyanne and a scotch bonnet, they have had flowers and chillies on continually since last year, re potted today. They are flowering like mad at the moment.

I have had one problem and that is the scotch bonnets have stayed very small, never swelling up, they rippen very quickly. The largest has only been as big as my thumb nail but they are still very hot.

I thought I would try them over winter, never expected them to keep throwing flowers. I took a pic of them with the Christmas decs up, how sad I am,lol. I will post a pic when I have found out how.

Great forum, I just have to keep reading. :)

Mark

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 23:25 »
I sowed 3 jalapeņos and 3 apache in February. They are doing so well I can hardly believe it. One of the apaches has 4 flowers on it. I'm quite impressed to say its the first time I have grown them from seed

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46 »
I have had one problem and that is the scotch bonnets have stayed very small, never swelling up, they rippen very quickly. The largest has only been as big as my thumb nail but they are still very hot.

Mark

My Scotch Bonnets are now entering their 3rd season and although I also had some small fruits (which I found to be hotter) last year I also had some larger ones and some of the fruits on the way at the moment are even bigger  :) In my experience it seems to be the more mature the plant the bigger the fruits although of course you will hit a maximum size.

sushi

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:27 »
Hi Galen,
 thanks for your reply, They have got a little larger since the first fruits so what you say sounds perfectly reasonable, I was debating scrapping this plant but think I will hang on another season.

Dont know where I am going to grow all my chillies this year, 8 f1 apachi, 8 demon red, 5 f1 cheyenne, 13 capsicum twilight and 16 de cayanne, guess I got a reasonable germination rate so will end up giving a few away,lol.

Good job I like chillie jam  :)

Mark

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
Chilli Help

Started by jermaindefoe on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 16:12
by mumofstig
xx
chilli

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 10:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 30 queries.