eradicating thistles/nettles/brambles???

• 16 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: October 21, 2007, 21:31 »
hello there  :D

have been turning the ground over at the girlfriends new house which is a small cottage with a really neglected garden, she's only moved in a few weeks ago but the house has been unoccupied for about two years. consequently the garden is full of the above nasty stingy things which we've hacked down with a petrol strimmer and my ride on mower.

not done bad so far, so now i've been turning the ground over with a flymo dm rotivator which i recently bought. this seems to have pulled most of the roots up but i'm wondering if there's a chance of them coming back come the spring???

what's the best way to try and make sure i've got rid of them all or is it a suck it and see job??? or is there a chance that a good freeze will kill them all off ?

all tips appreciated ! thank you !

:D

as an afterthought  . . . . . . she also has a field to the side of the house which is part of the property which was just as overgrown and the strimmer/mower have also been over that too but the lot really does nees turning over. i've heard there are tractor enthusiasts that would do it for free for the practise??? does anyone know of any round the cheshire area that might want a free go ? lol

WG.

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 21:35 »
Sorry but, like Arny, "they'll be back"

Best you can do is repeated rotovation.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 21:39 »
so no good weedkillers i can put down or anything like that before i go down the road of grassing it ?  :roll:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 21:42 »
NUKE EM WITH ROUNDUP ... spray now if you get a warm day then again in the spring .use half the directed water mix for this time .,i sprayed a load nettles off on a rabbit warren im gona ferret  in the new year  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 21:44 »
You will see from my Profile that my remedies are organic.  Your profile doesn't tell me about you.  :)

In reply, weedkillers are useless at this time of year anyway.   Round-Up in late Spring once the weeds have flushed will be very effective.  (Hack. Spit.  :wink: )

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 21:46 »
Quote from: "WG."
You will see from my Profile that my remedies are organic.  Your profile doesn't tell me about you.  :)

In reply, weedkillers are useless at this time of year anyway.   Round-Up in late Spring once the weeds have flushed will be very effective.  (Hack. Spit.  :wink: )

not while there is still greeen on the plants as they take it in through the leaves ........... werks for me .......spit ,,, hurlk :lol:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 21:48 »
had a feeling after i'd pressed send that weedkiller might be a dirty word lol  :lol:

dont get me wrong, i dont mind a bit of hard work, but if i can avoid it i will lol

haven't got much of a profile as yet as i've not long joined the forums but i will get round to it  . . . . . . .  like everything else lol  :shock:

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 21:50 »
weeds like other plants are trying at the minute to grasp what they can from the sun .roundup now will weaken them considerably and then in spring when they try a comeback , bit like marradona they will get nuked again and be done fer ............ :lol:  werks for me  :wink:

splodger

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 21:54 »
if the seed has been allowed to set - it will not only come back - it will spread - the munty nuke practice won't be much cop this time of year - the seeds are in - the more you dig - the more they spread.

pull up what you can - and if it's possible for the area - dig - mulch and cover.

not much likes to live under black poly - what does try is easy to pull - as the roots sit near to the surface  :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 21:55 »
got any ideas for small scruffy annoying trees the council have planted muntjac? lol

got a load at the back of my house here that the council planted years ago and the last time they 'trimmed them' they destroyed the garden wall !

long story  . . .  got them to pay in the end for new fencing to be put up but it took two years  . . .  been hacking them down too ever since with a chainsaw first, they were that bad, and tried some round up to kill the roots off after they'd been chopped but still they come back  . . . . .  short of torching them and risk setting the fence on fire i'm at a loss what to do wuth 'em lol  :evil:

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 21:56 »
chop em off at ground level and dont let them grow any green bits :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 21:58 »
was thinking move of tree genocide???

lol  :D

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 21:59 »
more  . . . .even lol

splodger

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 22:00 »
shhh-battery acid  :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 22:02 »
didn't hear a thing  . . . . . . .

:wink:

xx
Thistles

Started by GraciesGran on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 11:17
by mrs bouquet
xx
Thistles

Started by ferreter51 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 14:43
by Goosegirl
xx
eradicating invasive pulmonaria

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 22:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
nettles

Started by RuthLG on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 16:18
by RichardA

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 28 queries.