nettles

• 8 Replies

RuthLG

nettles
« on: May 15, 2012, 22:29 »
I am currently clearing a patch of nettles from the garden and I noticed that in one small area they are yellowed. The garden has been allowed to grow what it likes (mainly nettles and brambles) for the last 7 or 8 years, so it isnt anything I have done (not yet anyway). I dont use weedkillers anyway. Does it indicate some deficiency in the soil? The rest of the soil seems very good - black stuff goes quite deep (two spits), though is a little acidic - not much though. These nettles are right in the middle of a much larger patch of nettles.

RichardA

Re: nettles
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 22:39 »
I tok over a deserted orchard and as you say mainly nettles amnd brambles, nettles were less vigorous (I dont recall being yellow) where bonfire after bonfire had been burnt on same spot year after year with much thickness and  consolidation of ash and old plastic residue, roof felt, etc. Within a season or so or clearing and digging it all came OK. Take time to get roots out!!!!!!!!!!
I still keep some nettles for the butterflies and to make liquid feeds
Best of luck
R

RuthLG

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07 »
The area where my nettles are was used as a fruit bush bed before - gooseberries, black and red currants. The bushes were very old and didnt fruit too well and were straggling all over the place, so we took them out. The nettles were growing between the bushes before and have filled in the gaps. It is only one very small bunch that is yellow; the rest are the proper colour for nettles.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 14:02 »
it could be that the others shaded it.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 14:58 »
If your fruit bushes struggled, then the nettles are struggling too from depleted soil. Or, something has urinated in that area and changed the soil pH. It can be a number of things and if you want to keep the nettles going, then get a watering can and give the problem area a light manure tea watering. That should get them back in shape.

RuthLG

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 15:06 »
If your fruit bushes struggled, then the nettles are struggling too from depleted soil. Or, something has urinated in that area and changed the soil pH. It can be a number of things and if you want to keep the nettles going, then get a watering can and give the problem area a light manure tea watering. That should get them back in shape.

ROFL!

I was thinking more if there was any potential deficiency that might cause a problem for future crops, rather than having healthy nettles  :lol:

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 16:05 »
Black currants in particular are very greedy takers of nutrients but nitrogen in particular. Low nitrogen produces yellow leaves -- are the yellow nettles in the same spot as the blackcurrants ???????????
Add nitrogen (urea would do that but many other ways) and should be corrected
R

RuthLG

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 16:07 »
Thanks for that info. It is probable that the blackcurrants were there. The space will probably have roots or potatoes on it when it is dug over.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 16:18 »
potatoes are a good choice if soil prepared correctly as all the digging that potato needs and the light exclusion from leaf cover will help deal with weeds -- by contrast weeds coming up amongst say carrots are a real pain to extract and the disturbance attracts carrot root fly. Parsnips easier to keep weed free.
If nitrogen loss is the problem, will need to adjust or grow peas and beans.
R

xx
Nettles

Started by MoreWhisky on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:13
by aelf
xx
Nettles

Started by sloegin on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 13:34
by arugula
xx
Nettles!

Started by Frog on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 08:44
by compostqueen
xx
Nettles

Started by chicken soup on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 09:01
by blackbob

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 36 queries.