Soft egg shell in nesting box.

• 5 Replies

moomoos42

Soft egg shell in nesting box.
« on: March 08, 2012, 14:11 »
I collected my Gal's eggs as usual this morning and noticed the straw was damp.
When i  changed the straw, in the middle layer was a soft egg shell.
I have had this with my Gals i got from the local farm last year when they first started laying. But my concern is it seems to be Evie one of our ex-battery hens. Her vent was wet and a bit stick this morning when i checked vents to see if i could tell who it was.
She seems bright in herself, scratching and eating normally.
I've given them oyster shells added to their normal grit and apple cider vinegar in their water but is there anything else i can do to help her ? Would yoghurt be any good? or i've  heard you can crush their own eggs shells up and give them back to them.
As an ex-bat I'm worried her poor little system wont cope with this problem.
Thank you ???

helens-hens

Re: Soft egg shell in nesting box.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 14:22 »
If she seems Ok in herself I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice a change in her. If she is an exbat her best laying days will be behind her and this type of thing can happen. It may be a one off or it may become persistant.

You say she had access to oystershell. As Kegs mentioned in a post recently you could try grinding up a bit of oystershell and mixing it in with some layers (or make a porridge out of layers) and little bit of cod liver oil (this helps with the calcium absorption). This should help top up her calcium levels.

I would keep a close eye on her and see how she goes. Do watch out for any swelling of the abdomen along with a 'waddling' gait as this can indicate egg yolk peritonitis and happens when the yolk gets separated from the shell and lies in the abdomen instead of being laid, which is serious.

Let us know how she gets along
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 14:24 by helens-hens »
Helen

moomoos42

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 16:33 »
Thank you. There was some shell in her droppings this morning and another mess in the nest box. but the yolk was there with the shell because it was on the other 4 eggs. I ground some of the oyster shells and mixed them with their favourite treat, porridge. They have eaten it so hopefully that will help. She had a cuddle with me and seems to not mind me holding her, i'll keep a close eye. thanks again :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 16:37 »
In serious cases you can feed her a pinch of limestone flour (available from reptile shops and equine places). Just dip half a grape or a couple of pieces of damp sweetcorn into it and feed her this for a few days  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43 »
If you do feed egg shell to her crush it up and bake it first to ensure it is clean :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

moomoos42

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08 »
Thank you everyone, good news she laid a perfect egg today!!
That's the great thing about a coop cam, you can see what they are up too!!
She seemed to have a bit of trouble but i went straight out when she'd finished and a very warm egg was waiting for me!  :D

xx
Soft egg not in nesting box

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 21:12
by mummychick
xx
Soft shell ?

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 16:59
by loam ranger
question
soft shell egg

Started by melanshel on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 19:43
by melanshel
xx
Soft shell egg

Started by new heather on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 22:01
by joyfull

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 29 queries.