Sparrow hawk

• 8 Replies

Geo

• Experienced Member
Sparrow hawk
« on: March 09, 2012, 22:10 »
I have seen in the last  week or two a female sparrow hawk in the neighbourhood. When I went out to let the hens into the run this morning I found the wings and parts of the legs of one of the pidgeons that have been raiding the hens feeders of late.It looks like the hawk has left these part to make it lighter to carry the pidgeon away.
Has anyone heard of a sparrow hawk taking hens. I have black rocks, a sussex hybrid and the one that may be at risk an araucana

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sparrow hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 22:24 »
Think they would tackle chicks or anything up to the size of a wood pigeon.  We have had one sat on our fence and shed roof waiting for its chance.  We have plenty of wood pigeons around so she is welcome to them.  Can't put bird food out as they come down in a flock and take the lot.  Even the hanging feeders they manage to raid.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 22:36 »
They take pigeons here and i stopped keeping little bantams because i was always worried for them.  I dont think they could manage a big hen altho the hens all go crazy when a sparrow hawk comes flying through.

I feel more relaxed about the sparrow hawks now that i have mainly  large fowl and they look wonderful when they come flying through the garden, stirring round bushes just like one of the red arrows.

But they do pluck the blue tits off the feeders just as if its a buffet table :(

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:39 »
ooo didnt know we had birdies that big in england  :tongue2:
Chicken crazy

bood77

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44 »
G'day i would say it would noot take your chooks but any chick watch out!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:51 »
They take pigeons here and i stopped keeping little bantams because i was always worried for them.  I dont think they could manage a big hen altho the hens all go crazy when a sparrow hawk comes flying through.

I feel more relaxed about the sparrow hawks now that i have mainly  large fowl and they look wonderful when they come flying through the garden, stirring round bushes just like one of the red arrows.

But they do pluck the blue tits off the feeders just as if its a buffet table :(

But its a great sight to see.
Thanks
Kris

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32 »
We have had a pair of Sparrow hawks locally all the time we`ve had hens and they regularly take small birds (including one robin that was watching me digging  :( ) and collared doves and the occasional woodpigeon. Once i stood up from weeding and nearly got a hawk and dove chase in the face.

The larger female hawk has been known to sit on the fence 15 ft away from my hens (large fowl) and they took no notice of each other.

On Youtube there is a video of a spar killing a magpie and it takes a long time to achieve this at considerable risk to itself.

WARNING Do not watch the video if nature in the raw upsets you.

I think that only a very hungry hawk would take on a large hen.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:36 by 8doubles »

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:34 »

We have birds that will feed on sparrowhawks! ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 10:09 »

We have birds that will feed on sparrowhawks! ???

...same here. Karl stood and watched as a buzzard took off with a 3/4 grown ixworth cockerel  :( :(

xx
Would girls eat a Sparrow?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 20:06
by viettaclark
xx
My chickens killed and ate a sparrow

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 16:23
by evie2
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy
xx
Chicken was attacked..suspect hawk.

Started by EB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 18:11
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 36 queries.