shopping list for my girls

• 5 Replies

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
shopping list for my girls
« on: February 16, 2012, 18:40 »
hi
some people know that i got 13 hens about 2 weeks ago.i am going to make shopping list for my girls.what should be in my list for them?
and also i ve been reading some topics about garlic and porridge.could you tell me how often should i give it to them and how to prepare porridge?
how often i should use red mite powder for hen house?
please share with me your experience how you look after your  hens.

ps:if i do any mistake for spelling pls forgive me ::)
cheers

grinling

Re: shopping list for my girls
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 21:27 »
I mix porridge with hot water, allow it to soak in and cool down. Some give in evening or when chilly. Some add garlic to it, I put garlic in the water. I slice mine up.
Wilkinson does chook feeders/water feeders. I hang mine up so it is out of reach of rats. I have 2 flowerpots with a tent peg in each anchoring it. grit in one and oyster in other.
Hen house under roofed area with plastic around chicken wire sides to keep main area dry. Outer run has pea netting.
Prefer layer pellets as less messy than mash.
Couple hands mixed corn if lucky, keep in ice cream tub so chooks run when shaken.
Rat trap just in case,mice...live next to fields!!!
Food kept in metal dustbin
Newspaper in nest box, straw on top.
Try to restrict wild birds as they carry mite...check house and treat.
Lice...check birds and treat.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 22:09 »
Hi, you get good feed back off the forum and it helps with many aspects of poultry keeping.But also I learned vast amounts off the internet itself and from books,its all out there to help you..

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49 »
I mix porridge with hot water, allow it to soak in and cool down. Some give in evening or when chilly. Some add garlic to it, I put garlic in the water. I slice mine up.
Wilkinson does chook feeders/water feeders. I hang mine up so it is out of reach of rats. I have 2 flowerpots with a tent peg in each anchoring it. grit in one and oyster in other.
Hen house under roofed area with plastic around chicken wire sides to keep main area dry. Outer run has pea netting.
Prefer layer pellets as less messy than mash.
Couple hands mixed corn if lucky, keep in ice cream tub so chooks run when shaken.
Rat trap just in case,mice...live next to fields!!!
Food kept in metal dustbin
Newspaper in nest box, straw on top.
Try to restrict wild birds as they carry mite...check house and treat.
Lice...check birds and treat.

I bought some the other week and they were rubbish.  Cheap plastic, the drinker gradually overflowed and lost all but the saucer of water.  The feeder had a habit of the top popping up and the layers pellets spilling all over the floor.  Neither had handles to hang them up so maybe your Wilkinsons sells different ones.  I took them back and got a full refund and have ordered others online where I got my first lot from.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 16:07 »
Get some Purple gentian spray for any cuts and injuries plus a small child's paint brush or cotton bud to dab it on because the spray stains and tends to go everywhere but where you want it.
I use Frontline for delousing and Flubenvet for worming.
Paint the coop in this slurry mixture to help prevent red mite:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81422.0
Happy shopping!  :)

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22 »
TCP or Savlon liquid and Savlon cream can be useful for cuts. Don't mix much garlic until you're sure they'll eat it. Don't buy, but collect old stuff to dedicate to them, e.g. old hair dryer useful for when they need a bath, old washbowl, brushes etc, fishtank heater for winter water. A large mixing builders tub (see B&Q) is useful as a store for this stuff and for giving them baths.

xx
Shopping List

Started by walker on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 22:01
by dizzylizzie
xx
Shopping list

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 21:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Shopping list

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 22:56
by blulagoo
xx
Shopping list

Started by Pixiewish on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 16:17
by Pixiewish

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 28 queries.