Shopping List

• 23 Replies

walker

Shopping List
« on: January 20, 2010, 20:13 »
hi guys & girls
im one step closer to getting my chickens decided on two light sussex and
 two rhode island reds.
as the title suggests i want your advice on what i need to buy for the arrival of my chicks.
got the coop
got the feeder & drinker.
got the bedding
is this feed any good or should i stick to a more well known brand
http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=257

any advice would be appreciated thanks. ::)
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

Roughlee Handled

Re: Shopping List
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 20:43 »
How big is your run?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 20:53 »
i use that range and i aint had no probs with it , its probably the cheapest around as well . but at the mo mine are on farmgate feed as  the nearest place to me where i can get feed from olny does farmgate , i reckon mine will stay on farmgate as this place now stocks all horsefeed which is cheaper then countrywide stores an saves me travelling over 10 miles every 2 weeks .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

treacleminer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 20:54 »
I don't know anything about that feed, or if there are any regulations controlling what makes up a 'layers pellet'.  I use the Allen & page 'Smallholders' pellets.  You could always compare the ingredients list of a couple of brands and see where the differences lie.
Most important is how easy is it to get a regular supply rather than having to constantly change brand.
Enjoy your chooks

Basil_UK

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 21:19 »
Hi ya

Little spade and bucket for shovelling poop from around the garden / coop.
Grit Pot and Grit & Oyster shell for the birds
Mite & Lice powders
Worming product
Mixed Corn -  for their afternoon treat
Meal worms for a weekly treat.

Hope this helps.
When are they arriving?
Lisa
Chooks :- Amber, Ashely, Marol, Jazz, Bluebell, Cleopatra,Buffy, Angel and Summer, Cats:- Dee and Jay, Fish Hermionee, Harry and Ron.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 21:24 »
how old are they? if not laying yet, should be on developers/growers, I'm assuming they are not chicks. Just a basic, easy available layers pellets will be fine.

You may want to have a dish/container of mixed grit and oystershell available for them,.
You will need stuff to clean your coop, a lot of us use diluted jeyes fluid, and a scoop.
A mite preventer/treatment, such as Diatom, to sprinkle in  all the crevices (pay special attention to the ends of the perches).
A basic first aid "kit" is essential. Antiseptic (Purple Spray is good), wormer, such as flubenvet.

Also, you need to consider what you are going to do with all the soiled bedding/poop etc.

Sorry, sounds scarey. Does that help?
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

walker

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 21:47 »
Thanks for the replies im making a list right now of the essentials the reason for the question on the feed is this store is not too far from me but i was unsure if anyone had used their own make of feed and if it was a good quaility feed compared to the others, i might give it a go.
Ive just had an email from the breeder and the chickens are ready to collect this week but i cant get there because of work so im trying to arrange collection next week,plus this will  give me more time to sort out all the essentials and finish the fencing around the garden so they will have the whole of the back garden to run around.
the chicken are point of lay so im guessing they are around 20 weeks old is this right.
also can i put all the chicking droppings on a compost heap if so im about to get an allotment in the next few weeks :D

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 22:27 »
I am sure their feed is fine :)

It is important with POL chooks (particulary hybrids) that most of their diet consists of layers pellets as they contain the right balance needed for egg-laying. If they are unable to free-range then a supply of fresh greens will be appreciated.

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 22:42 »
I am at about the same stage as you Walker, getting my chooks on or before the 30th. Also hoping to get an allotment in the next few weeks.  :)
 I too was thinking about the same feed as you as we have a countrywide fairly near, and it is a good price.
 I just need to get the feed, grit, hemcore & straw. can't wait know to get the girls home and settled in.  :D

walker

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 23:02 »
Thanks foxy they will be able to wonder around the garden at will and search for all kinds but i think i will give them veg as a treat aswell.
pumkin kat ive just recieved another email from the breeders and i can also pick up the chickens on saturday 30th jan. cant wait to get them home kids are already thinking of names.
exciting time ahead :D
will try and post some pics when there settled in,not like you guy's havent seen light sussex and rhode island reds before but thought you  might appreciate some more chicken pictures :nowink:

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:36 »
i was advised not to use straw in their bedding, as it is hollow, it can harbour mould and disease if it gets wet.

i just use hemcore in the coop and the nest boxes, sometimes easibed, a horse bedding, but very similar to hemcore.

dont forget the disinfectants, stalosan f, a dry powder for sprinkling on the bedding and vikron s, a liquid, both are bacterial disinfectants to kill bugs in the coop and run.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41 »
Hi Walker and welcome to the world of chooks  :D

Below is a list of things we have aquired although some of it is not essential right now.

Layers pellets
Mixed Corn (treat)
ACV (Apple Cider Vinigar) to add to water
oystershell and grit mix in a separate bowl
Feeder
Drinker

Bedding material - Wood shavings or Hemcore(i use this) Well not me literally but the chooks mind you they look cosy in it so if I am ever stuck I would give it a go
Anyway I digress

Gloves
Bucket for poop
small spade to pick said poop up
Brush
Spray bottle to spray disinfectant in coop

Diatom powder to spread around the coop and also on the chooks.
Jayes fluid to clean out the coop and or Stalosan f powder which disinfects also but is dry for the winter months when drying can be difficult.
Poultry Shield for the coop to keep red mite at bay
Poultry spice to add to their food to keep them healthy

The most important things are the food & water (layers pellets should be available at all times for them as with the water)  bedding and to have a good cleaning regime this will lead to healthy happy choocks who will give you lovely eggs in return.

Good luck!

noshed

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52 »
I'm no chicken keeper but have you given any thought to fox-proofing?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 15:14 »
A camera, and a nice comfy perch for you to sit on :lol:

Recently starting using Hemcore, and love it!  Also new to Staolosen F, and now can't do without it.  Very good for damp patches in a wooden coup, very difficult to get things to dry out at this time of year.

At dryer times of year use Poultryshield spray to disinfect.

Don't underestimate volume of chicken debris.  I fill half a darlek compost bin every month, and its taking ages to rot down.  Now on my 4th bin.

You might need to think about fly traps in the summer, and rats traps if necessary.

I add garlic powder to their water as is reduces the smell of poo (really!), and occsional codliver oil to help with calcium uptake, we have a problem with soft shells from my ex batts.

Good luck :D

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 18:43 »
The pooh great 4 the plot, just add it to the compost heap seems to speed the process up!!!!!

or let it rot gown on its own and use it for all the brassicas(sprouts, brocolli etc) they really thrive on it.

Good luck with plot and hens!!!!

xx
Shopping list

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 21:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Shopping list

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 22:56
by blulagoo
xx
Shopping list

Started by Pixiewish on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 16:17
by Pixiewish
xx
first time shopping list ,anything to add?

Started by terri on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 16:13
by evie2

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 37 queries.