stolen!

• 43 Replies

helens-hens

Re: stolen!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 16:49 »
Try not to think of them been taken for meat. If they have been taken for order and if they know anything about chickens then they will know the Jerseys and the Sussex should be worth far more alive than not.

I am sure of that, try not to worry.
Helen

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 16:58 »
unfortunately they are huge birds and would be impressive as a roast...not everyone knows they are rare and in some countries the bigger birds are skinned with the feathers still on, cooked and then refeathered for effect - a bit like the tudors and roast swans.

with times as hard as they are - a big bird would be a substantial dinner - especially for a romantic valentines day.

in india you are allowed by law to cement shards of broken glass to the tops of walls to prevent theives and its a measure that really works. unfortunately as much as i love it and am a law abiding citizen, we live in a country where the criminal's human rights outweigh the victims 9 times out of 10.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

helens-hens

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 17:10 »
"we live in a country where the criminal's human rights outweigh the victims 9 times out of 10"

I agree with you there  >:(

I have seen walls topped with cement with broken glass stuck in, in some areas of Cardiff, I don't know about the legality of it here but its certainly not a rare sight.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 17:15 »
It may have been someone you have sold other chickens to.  Or they may have passed on information of what birds you have.  They would obviously wait long enough after buying birds off you so they would not be suspected.  >:(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 17:47 »
you might well be right but the list of coincidences just seems too big. the other birds went mostly to coventry or warwick and some to bedford so it seems unlikely that they would come all the way back on the off chance that we weren't home.

i'm down from 30 chickens to just 4 and my jerseys will pick on my sussex girl so i might have to rehome her at the very least. i think whoever pinched the others couldn't catch her as there were only two of them in there.

i noticed that i had mistakenly put down having 3 jerseys in my siggy and now i actually do only have 3. i'm so depressed i could down a double shot of whiskey (sod being pregnant) and i don't even drink!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 18:20 »
I couldn't stomach alcohol when I was pregnant, many moons ago.  :blush:

Chin up shetan, you have to look forward to being a new mummy which I think is always a miracle.  Stress is really the last thing you need.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:16 by ANHBUC »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 07:11 »
Hi im sorry to hear of your loss  :( I dont know about broken glass but the company i worked for pu razor wire on the top of walls the only rule was it had to more than 6ft (to stop children playing with it) and every 10 ftwe had to put up a sign stating razor was being used, you could give your local council a ring and ask them of bylaws for your aria  :D
Chicken crazy

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 13:35 »
I'm certain that you can no longer use glass embedded in the top of a wall Sorry. If people get hurt when they have no business being there I think it is tough but we have no support against those who think it is ok to take others belongings. Plenty of people are struggling right now and would never consider going stealing! :mad: :mad:

I am so sorry Shetan it must be heart breaking but do think of your baby or the swines will win again. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 20:54 »
I don't know if these guys advertise in chook mags because I haven't bought any in a long time, but they advertise in my bee keeping mag every month...

www.trail-camera.co.uk.  The ad says that it has a 3+ month battery life is weather proof and can do photos as well as video etc.  Might be quite pricey, but can you imagine having photographic proof of the b*****ds  :mad:

edit:  and no, I'm not on commission!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 20:58 »
Actually... I've just visited the site and the cameras aren't as pricey as I thought they would be - in fact I'd say that they are fairly reasonable for the peace of mind that they could give.  I might invest in one or two myself when I've got some money :happy:

shetan

• Experienced Member
Re: stolen! - update
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 13:20 »
nearly lost the remainder of my chooks last night.

went to bed around ten and the dogs were making a huge racket at just gone past 11. went to look out the back bedroom window, expecting a fox, only to see two men in the garden! car was at the garage so they must have seen the empty drive and thought we were out.

hubby was down in a shot and let the dogs out. i've never seen anyone shoot over a fence so fast. called the police who came a good 20mins later by which time the b******s were long gone - or so we thought.

this morning, the allotment manager told me two men were prowling around the lotties at midnight and another neighbour called the police, who apprehended them. now we can't be sure if its the same men but we've put our complaint forward and will wait to hear what happens.

were told not to hold our breath about getting the original birds back but atleast the remaining birds will be safe.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 13:32 »
great news, I hope it is the thieves that stole your hens and they go round to the house and find them. Who knows your other hens might still be there from the last theft,

helens-hens

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 13:41 »
Really pleased to hear this Shetan, if nothing else at least these people are off the streets now.

Its hard to believe the cheek of them coming back a 2nd time in less than a week!

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 14:03 »
Helen after a successful theft they return to the scene of the crime hoping you have replaced the goods stolen and then take the new ones >:(

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 14:21 »
Good news, hope they get what they deserve...

xx
Stolen Egg's

Started by Lakisha354 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 10:22
by Sassy
xx
stolen

Started by izzy on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 08:53
by izzy
xx
STOLEN

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 11:21
by babe
xx
STOLEN POULTRY

Started by kimT on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 11:47
by Foxy

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 29 queries.