Help on growing chillies

• 24 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Help on growing chillies
« on: February 03, 2012, 23:16 »
Hi chilli growers.. My son loves chillies and has asked for me to grow some for him. I have a new plot and start this season from scratch.. hence I have never grown them and need some advice on variety and basics on growing. Not too hot - just a good all rounder that is easy to grow. A
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

allot2learn

Re: Help on growing chillies
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 23:25 »
I'm having a go with chillies for the first time this year. I thought I'd start out with something easy that won't blow my socks off so I'm going for Apache from DT Browns and they're post free.

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/12440/pepper-hot-apache-f1-agm-seeds

gobs

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 00:27 »
Hi chilli growers.. My son loves chillies and has asked for me to grow some for him. I have a new plot and start this season from scratch.. hence I have never grown them and need some advice on variety and basics on growing. Not too hot - just a good all rounder that is easy to grow. A

if no heated gh, sow in March, treat as per tomatoes, just warmer and less feed. In a nutshell.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 00:30 »
Thanks Gobs... can I do them in my spare room that I have now stolen as my propagation house then transfer to the GH later on?

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 00:43 »
Thanks Gobs... can I do them in my spare room that I have now stolen as my propagation house then transfer to the GH later on?

What you can do in your spare room is none of my business, consult your lady. :lol:

Otherwise it depends on the temperature, yes, for the serious, generally that works like that.

Pretty in Purple or Hot Lemon are good, nice performers, who do not blow your head off. They are some of those , good to start with, for keeping the spirit up. I'm sure, you will get plenty more ideas and varieties.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21 »
I'm having a go with chillies for the first time this year. I thought I'd start out with something easy that won't blow my socks off so I'm going for Apache from DT Browns and they're post free.

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/12440/pepper-hot-apache-f1-agm-seeds

I bought an Apache chilli plant from QD last year when it started to become clear my home grown Jalapenos chillies weren't going to do very much. It was a good move because it produced lots of small chillies, the last of which we will finish this week from the freezer. They are pretty hot though...similar in strength to the birds eye types from the supermarkets.

I have pruned it down and brought it indoors over the winter, so I am hoping it will pull through.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:00 »
I'd start them off fairly soon, if you can, because chillis need quite a long growing season. I started mine off last weekend. I start them inside the house and don't move them into the cold greenhouse until risk of frost is over, about mid May for me.

gavinjconway

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 16:47 »
Thanks for the replies. I assumed they are like peppers and egg plant and need to get in asap.. I'm going to look in town later on for some seed.

gavinjconway

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 17:05 »

What you can do in your spare room is none of my business, consult your lady. :lol:

Lookie Gobs - its already a mini indoor germinating shed!!
IMG_0154_rs.jpg

gobs

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 17:33 »

Lookie Gobs - its already a mini indoor germinating shed!!

I know. Just going around being funny. Or you don't like me sense of humour? :blink: :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 17:34 »
Thanks for the replies. I assumed they are like peppers and egg plant and need to get in asap.. I'm going to look in town later on for some seed.

Exactly right  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 17:37 »
Hi Gobs - I love a sense of humour  :tongue2:

I just hope people on the forum understand mine on some of the replies I do..  One has to get along with everyone and make one person smile each day..

gavinjconway

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 17:38 »

Exactly right  :D

Thanks Sunny... off to town now for some seed.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 17:53 »
Hi Gavin,

I grew prairie fire last year,mistake only growing one variety,17 plants,30-40 chillis per plant.

They were too hot for my liking ,only about an inch long.

This year I'm growing an assorted pack from Wilko's, 2.49 for 6 different types,approx 25 seeds per pack.

They are Aneheim,Fresno Hungarian, Hot Wax and Jalapeno,larger and milder than prairie fire,but hopefully more enjoyable.

There is also Cayenne and Rokita, which are slightly hotter but long and   thinner.

Carl   

gavinjconway

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 17:56 »
Thanks Carl - glad I saw this before I went to town... just shutting down and saw it.. going now..

xx
Growing chillies

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2023, 20:38
by Snow
xx
Chillies growing well!!But?

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 11:30
by NigelB
xx
Growing Aurora chillies

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 23:36
by Fat Hen
question
Newbie on growing chillies!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 14:28
by stentman

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 38 queries.