Weeding autumn raspberries...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Weeding autumn raspberries...
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:51 »
We've inherited about 5 yards by 1 yard of autumn raspberries, which weren't cut back last year, but which cropped anyway.

I've pruned them all down to the ground for this year's growth, and really need to tackle the grass (annual and couch), which is all over the place.

As they're dormant, is it OK to try a weed spray now? Digging the stuff out does muck the rasps roots more than somewhat

gobs

Re: Weeding autumn raspberries...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10 »
Weedkillers usually work better when plants are in growth.

On the other hand I learnt to be friends with couch grass throughout the years. No need to buy grazing rye. They break the soil up beautifully. I'd handweed. The roots too. Lift and replant. It could do with a spacing out by the sound of it, anyway. If they become over-crowded, productivity drops and diseases get in more easily.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:12 »
Trouble is that glyphosate-based weedkillers (like Roundup) only work when the weeds are actively growing, whereas other formulations (like Pathclear) will kill everything, including the rasps (and are much more persistent in the soil.)

I think you should consider digging out the raspberries, remove the invading weed roots and replant, preferably in a new clean bed, or if necessary back in the old one when suitably cleared.

(Oh, nearly the same as gobs - that's a relief!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18 »
If I knew, I'd said something else. Hang on, I changed me mind... :lol: It doesn't work any better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23 »
Raspberries are tough Growster. Thye will cope fine with being dug up and replanted, especially if they get a dollop of nicely rotted manure to settle them back in  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56 »
This is all sound advice folks, many thanks!

I know they're in pretty thick, and may do the full hoiking out and transplanting process next year, when I'll have more time. I have no problem hand-weeding for the time being, at least!

They were very prolific last year, and were sending out runners all over the place! I gave loads away!

stompy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 14:39 »
Glyphosate works "best" when the plants are actively growng.

I have aplied some to an area that was thick with grass around 2 weeks ago whilst the good weather was with us and the grass has begun to turn yellow, it just seems to take longer to get to the roots.

People on here have already said they've had to cut their grass as it has begun to grow already, give it a dose now and you'll find it will still kill the grass but as i said it takes longer  thats all  ;)

xx
Weeding around raspberries

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 13:09
by Kristen
xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
re: autumn raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 15:53
by DD.
xx
Autumn raspberries

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 10:47
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 30 queries.