Weeding around raspberries

• 11 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Weeding around raspberries
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:56 »
I have a double row of Autumn bliss rasps growing slowly as it's their 1st year and I pruned them back a bit late  :blush:
As it's the first year I am battling with weeds & couch grass. I've been forking some out this morning, but have twice exposed raspberry roots which I've covered again. I'm now thinking it would be better to cover the ground with weed suppressing membrane, but suspect the couch may still come through.
Any suggestions on dealing with it?

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Re: Weeding around raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 13:10 »
I can sympathise with your problem as I suffer the same issues with mine.
The only way forward is to keep weeding and I have found mulching with a new horizon product (organic and made from recycled materials) has assisted.
I dig around mine twice a year and hoe at least once a month or whenever I notice a problem developing.
The hard work is well worth it though as you can't beat fresh Raspberries.
Regards
Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 14:17 »
Another trick I find works well with raspberry weeding is wait for a good rain shower and immediately after pull the couch out by the roots. The soil is so soft that most roots come out easily and this sets them way back. If I get rain for a few days I find I can pull out whole dandelion roots by hand as well.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 17:30 »
Another trick I find works well with raspberry weeding is wait for a good rain shower and immediately after pull the couch out by the roots. The soil is so soft that most roots come out easily and this sets them way back. If I get rain for a few days I find I can pull out whole dandelion roots by hand as well.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Funnily enough weeding this morning was murder on my clay soil - however several heavy downpours made it much easier going this afternoon - except I was kn*£ered from this morning's efforts. Never mind, dug up some baby beet, spuds and chantenay carrots as a reward  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 17:36 »
Raspberries like a nice mulch to keep their roots moist.  It supresses the weeds too.  If the couch is a big problem try some glyposate painted onto it rather than sprayed.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 18:07 »
Raspberries like a nice mulch to keep their roots moist.  It supresses the weeds too.  If the couch is a big problem try some glyposate painted onto it rather than sprayed.

Thanks Auntie - I am tempted to spot treat a few areas when the rain clears as I feel the weeds really are winning at the moment  :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 22:51 »
Make sure it's dry for at least 6 hours after you use it, or it loses its effectiveness.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sanuka

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 16:53 »
I have the same problem and earlier in the year covered the lot with weed fabric and cut holes for the raspberries to grow through.  It seems to be working for now, but then i guess i'll need to remove the membrane after fruiting so that the new canes can come through for next year!?

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 22:18 »
I always try to remember to hoe in the area at leased once a week.

celery :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 01:14 »
I always try to remember to hoe in the area at leased once a week.

celery :)

Me too - I use a swoe as it seems to do the job without going too deep so no disturbance to the raspberries roots.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

lacewing

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:38 »
I mulch with thick cardboard, leaving a space around the raspberry canes for the new shoots to come up. Any weeds that find their way out the sides of the cardboard I spot weed. The cardboard will last a season before rotting down. I  replace it with another layer when the canes are cut back... Works for me!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 13:09 »
I mulch my Raspberries with grass cuttings.  (Not when I have used selective weedkiller on the lawn though!)

xx
Weeding autumn raspberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 14:39
by stompy
xx
Weeding

Started by G4XLO on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 07, 2017, 19:42
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
weeding

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 06, 2014, 12:57
by Spr0ut
xx
Weeding ?

Started by damo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 19:01
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 28 queries.