Strawberries - to feed or not to feed

• 2 Replies

toxorebel

Strawberries - to feed or not to feed
« on: January 15, 2012, 21:12 »
Hi all,

This is my third year on the plot.  In the first year I had a terrific strawberry harvest from a random patch that I inherited with the plot.  The patch was pretty inconvenient so at the end of the year I moved the plants to a new bed, along with some new plants I had raised from the runners.

Last year, the new bed performed miserably - I had hardly any crop to speak of, although the plants seemed to do quite well foliage wise after the cropping season, and I took some more runners and extended the bed.

I intended to give them a good feed in Autumn but forgot and have only just given it some thought.  My question is, do I feed them before this year's crop or not?  I've done some research on this group and elsewhere and it seems to be a fairly contentious topic.  I was hoping to get some real world examples from people of when they've fed and what results they got!

I suppose I could always feed half the bed and see what happens  :)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Re: Strawberries - to feed or not to feed
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 22:35 »
Was last year a good or poor year for Strawberries?  Maybe this has something to do with it.  How were your neighbours Strawberry patches looking?

I'm interested to know what everyone comes up with on this one as I have an inherited patch too and don't know what to do about feed etc. Let's see what folk have to say  :)
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

gobs

Re: Strawberries - to feed or not to feed
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 23:10 »
Strawberries do crop by years for a start, usually best in second and/or third.

I do feed mine, even with tomato feed as an extra on manuring, during the cropping season, I find, that's when they are the best, when I get round to all that.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
when to feed strawberries

Started by caro810 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 07:43
by fatcat1955
xx
When to feed strawberries

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 17:33
by rikknikk
xx
Best Feed For The Strawberries?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 09:24
by PembsPanther
xx
Strawberries are finished, what to feed plants?

Started by missycat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 19:28
by Christine

Page created in 0.822 seconds with 28 queries.