Strawberries are finished, what to feed plants?

• 3 Replies

missycat

• Experienced Member
Strawberries are finished, what to feed plants?
« on: July 18, 2010, 23:50 »
I read on another thread that strawberries need feeding when they finish croping but what  should I use...bfb, manure, nettle tea, seaweed...?
also do I cut all the leaves off now or wait a few weeks after feeding?
I didn't cut any leaves off last Autumn as I had just planted them but one of my site neighbours said you need to remove this years leaves to prevent diseases.
Thanks

Christine

Re: Strawberries are finished, what to feed plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 15:34 »
I always wait till the runners have had time to settle and put roots down before I start dealing with the strawberry plants.

You are only supposed to keep strawberry plants for three years in order to keep a good crop coming and ensure lack of disease. So I wait till the strawberry runners are healthy with roots and then cut their links to the old plants. Then I can remove three year old plants, keep two year old runners to crop next season and have runners which are in effect first year plants that you pick the flowers off for their first season to let them get their feet down.

I also lift all my strawberry plants, clear the dead leaves, work a lot of compost into the beds in late August along with chicken pellets for feeding as that is what I can get cheaply. Blood/Fish/Bone or Growmore will do just as well. Then I plant back the two year old plants and the new runners which should by then have good roots into two different parts of the beds so that I know which is which. I feed them again in October, leave to over winter and feed again in March (assuming any sign of growth).

That works on my plot as I haven't room to move the strawberry beds which you are supposed to do every three years.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 16:39 »
Thanks for the advice Christine :)
I hadn't thought about lifting the plants to replenish the bed, it sounds much easier than weeding and feeding around them. Thanks

Some of my plants are in their second year and fruited fantastically, others are runners I potted up last year (I'm hoping they'll crop well next year) and I have 25 of this years runners already well rooted with more that'll be ready in a few weeks.

I'm hoping to extend my strawberry bed another 2X1 metres and like your idea of putting different aged plants in different areas, so will do 2x1m of 3, 2 and 1st year plants....I'm hoping to have enough time to make jam next year...this year I froze the excess.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 19:28 »
I found it is easier to lift the lot as it allows you to have a really good old clear out. Sounds hard work but believe me - it saves time and fiddling says the idle gardener.

xx
What do I do after my strawberries have finished fruiting?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 09, 2023, 10:33
by Goosegirl
xx
elsanta strawberries finished fruiting

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 21:07
by Trikidiki
xx
Finished plants....???

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:50
by compostqueen
xx
How do I know when strawberry plants have finished cropping?

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 17:49
by Paul Plots

Page created in 1.998 seconds with 28 queries.