Seed brands

• 20 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Seed brands
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 20:40 »
of-cause its the old tale you get what you pay for i think we all have our preferences where we buy our seed :unsure:

i usually stick to two suppliers but do tend to buy the odd packet if ime going round a garden centre or Wilkinson's i just can't resist buying the odd packet will i ever learn ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 20:59 »
I buy a lot of the basics in the 50p seed sales. If you hit the right garden centres at the right times, you can get the pick of several different brands  :blink:  OK I know.......sad, but my seed fixation is an open secret on here  :lol:

There are some I buy from Real Seeds as I really like those specific varieties, I save some myself year to year and I've got some good stuff seed swapping on here  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 21:03 »
of-cause its the old tale you get what you pay for i think we all have our preferences where we buy our seed :unsure:

'You get what you pay for' doesn't always apply, in my experience...............I've had rubbish germination of seeds from some of the most expensive suppliers, and very good germination from some of the cheap suppliers. So it follows that I'm now wary of buying expensive seed, especially from companies that also seem to have high p&p charges for seeds alone.

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 23:36 »

'You get what you pay for' doesn't always apply, in my experience...............I've had rubbish germination of seeds from some of the most expensive suppliers, and very good germination from some of the cheap suppliers. So it follows that I'm now wary of buying expensive seed, especially from companies that also seem to have high p&p charges for seeds alone.

I do tend to think that you pay for the fancy website and glossy catalogue.

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 08:38 »
 on the seed issue i can only speak as you find and basically i have been buying seed from moles seeds for some years now and  i have started to buy some seed fro Kings

and have never had any germination problems with any of the seed bought from these suppliers  its true that one does pay a little extra for most F1 seed but again its your choice some like to stick to the traditional varieties which probably crops well in there ground so why change  :)

we know that the plant breeders are for ever  trying to improve on most crops more so for the commercial market that when first introduced tend to be much more expensive but when you think about it the cost of seed to what you actually produce hopefully!! is mini-mall when you look at some of the veg prices  :dry:

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 15:30 »
I've used Kings and Wilco a lot but am going to try http://www.seedparade.co.uk/ this year as they look good value for money and I like the reduced packaging idea.

Don't forget you can successfully save and replant your own seed from a number of crops - good advice here: http://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/beginner.html
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

xx
Seed brands - which are best?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 13:30
by Ivah
xx
Cheaper seed brands

Started by uba on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 22:20
by uba
xx
Your opinions on the brands of compost you have bought - 2013

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

136 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 13:42
by Kristen
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 32 queries.