Moles

• 36 Replies

Salmo

Re: Moles
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19 »
Yes, in the automated ads. If you have not done so you should have a look. Maybe Google do not realise just what they are advertising?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26 »
They aren't appearing on my screen.  Different people see different links.

As I understand it, there are a number of triggers in addition to automated ones.  An individual's previous searches sometimes trigger a link.  Words on the thread will trigger a link - so the fact that you've now mentioned the product twice will create further triggers to it.  I imagine (but do not know) that associations are created, hence the link.  Also, I also imagine (but do not know) that as Google is an international company, it does not amend ads depending on the viewer's ISP address / country.

The ads banner creates a valuable source of income for this site, and I suspect that without it, the site would be too expensive to run.  The amount of resources taken to keep a show this large on the road is staggering.  The occasional  :blink: link is the compromise we make for the site continuing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gwiz

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 14:21 »
Where I live we have a light sandy soil. The Moles love it, so i have become quite good at trapping them over the years.
There isn't any point in putting a trap close to mole hill. The mole only uses the "cul-de-sac" he makes the hills in at slow speed to eject excess soil. To be successful you need to find his main runs which he moves down at quite a pace to get from one area to another.
To do this, I have a steel rod that has a "T" handle on one end, and a "Bullet" shaped probe at the other. The probe is pushed into the soil a few inches at various locations where I suspect the run to be. If I'm right, the probe has resistance as it's pushed through the soil until it goes into the run when suddenly there isn't any resistance at all.
Its then a matter of digging down and setting the trap.
The traps should be put into soil for some time once bought to eradicate any unnatural smells (for Mr Mole, that is) that may be present from their manufacture.
Just a point about setting them, It's quite important to make sure they are a good fit in the run and you exclude any light from getting around the trap when it's been put in. Mr Mole may be quite shortsighted, but he can tell sunlight in what is supposed to be a pitch black environment

I hope this helps, and good luck in your "hunting"

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 16:07 »
Some great experienced-based advice there. Thanks.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 17:03 »
Just been and bought a couple of scissor-traps. At nearly seven quid each they'd better work

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 17:41 »
Stick 'em in the ground for a good few days before using them in Ernest, wear gloves when setting them, and try not to have just come out of the bath or just put on aftershave, it's amazing how sensitive moleys nose is.....

8doubles

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 18:43 »
Plenty of tips here fePU5CIHpas
An ounce and a sixteenth of six shot really does work !  :)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 17:11 »
After HUGE mole problems several years ago, two years ago we bought 6 of the sonic repellant devices and 1 near each corner and one near the centre (plus spare! they were buy1 get one free from the diy shop).

We now do not get moles on our plot at all.

Now if only we could get rid of other pests.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 21:46 »
Ian - do you use the solar powered ones or battery powered?

8doubles

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 08:23 »
After HUGE mole problems several years ago, two years ago we bought 6 of the sonic repellant devices and 1 near each corner and one near the centre (plus spare! they were buy1 get one free from the diy shop).

We now do not get moles on our plot at all.

Now if only we could get rid of other pests.

Was there also a reduction in the number of worms after you put in the scarers ? I would imagine that the more active lobworms would also vacate the premises and there would be less moley food about.

Salmo

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02 »
Good thinking 8doubles. You could well be right about the worms.

We used to catch worms for fishing by sticking an iron bar in the ground and rocking it until the worms came out of the ground.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16 »
Mmmmm. Are you really saying that five sonar devices will cause worms to vacate a plot of land? A bit like St Patrick banishing snakes from Ireland? :blink:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 13:28 »
Well one solar sonic device certainly doesn't banish worms, but it discourages moles. ;) Did you know there aren't moles in Ireland? :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 14:48 »
I'd have thought the logic went sonar device = less moles = more worms :)

Salmo

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 15:30 »
The logic is that moles only go where they can find worms to eat. Banish the worms and the moles go where there are some.

Do the sonic vibrators just affect worms and have no effect at all on moles?

xx
Moles... how to get rid of them

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 22:08
by bigsprouts
xx
Moles

Started by about.time2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 14:10
by shokkyy
xx
moles

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 14:42
by arugula
xx
Moles!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 07:22
by PennyS

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 28 queries.