We have worms :0( please help, what to feed my poorly girl

• 5 Replies

rosie14

We had made the regrettable mistake of assuming our back yard chooks were low risk worm wise and we were WRONG :(

I poo pick out chooks' nest boxes first thing, they are out all of the time and don't roost in their run ever! After dispatching our G.L. Orpie 2 weeks ago (was it worms I now wonder?) we only have our 11 weeks old G.L Orpie and a W.S left now :0( I found maybe a 6-8cm white worm in a normal looking poop  :tongue2: I am not squeemish at all but I do have a problem with worms (blame my horrid big brother for that!)

So I immediately went out yesterday and got some flubenvet and called my vet who has chooks of his own and explained. I mixed the food up but she didn't eat yesterday I think after feeling her crop she wasn't her usual scatty self although she is always easily catchable to check. The vet said to open her beak and feed some in. I gave her some sliced raisins with some wormer in them (out of grapes atm!) and let her be for the evening/night. She didn't come out this morning so we gave her some more with the raisins again and she drank well after. She went back to her nest box but later in the day I saw her out but resting which is unheard of for her.

I saw several runnier poops in the run and looked closely  :ohmy: and saw some dead young worms a couple of cm's in length. I am thinking that a) gut movement is a good thing as it's working and b) dead worms in poop is good and hopefully meds. are working.

I am worried she wont recover as she seems not to be eating although I didn't check her crop this evening as didn't want to bother her. What can I offer her to temp her to eat if she doesn't? And if she doesn't eat shall I feed her like I did with the raisins (open her beak and pop food in a bit at a time) with mixed corn or pellets or something else?

thanks for reading your thoughts welcome and has any one else had tis and their chickens have recovered?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: We have worms :0( please help, what to feed my poorly girl
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:44 »
Hi I'm sorry to hear about your poorly girl, maybe mix the pellets with a little warm water to make a kind of porridge that maybe easier for her to eat ,or if that fails make her up some porridge using water not milk and add some flubenvet to that, you are using the best wormer and it seems to have started to work, I have just treated mine for worms they are new hens which came with the problem, I did a two week course and they (touch wood) all seem to be fine, I hope your girl starts to feel better soon worms can really make them poorly :(

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38 »
Sorry to hear about your hen.  I agree with sneezer here, and hopefully she will recover.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:53 »
 :) thanks so much for your replies and for not scalding me for my mistake! :blush:

I didn't get on here firs tthing but as the chlidren were up so early I made her some extra porrige which had honey in it! I didn't know about the milk thing, I thought it was ok as people give their chooks yoghurt.

Anyway she was already up and about (good to see) she wasn't at all interested in the medicated corn and layers mix but with a little encouragement she soon gobbled away a good dessert spoon full, brilliant. More small worms in poop, to be expected I figure.

I didn't put any wormer in the porridge as I had given her 2 lots of raisins with wormer sprinkled on the insides of them. Hopefully she will begin eating normally (is the medicated corn and pellets) but if she doesn't would it be best to feed her a layers and corn porrige with what a pinch or wormer - it's impossible to weight such tiny individual quantities on my scales. thanks

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 16:18 »
Hi I would just carry on with what you are doing as she seems to feel a bit better,  as long as she gets some wormer each day just go with what she likes at the moment, I'm sure you will be worming every few months from now on so don't worry we all learn as we go and from our mistakes.  Let us know how she gets on :)

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 13:37 »
Hello, thankyou sneezer  :D I'm a bit worried though as she's still not interested in eating anything but herself and I am having to give her dampened layers and corn with a pinch of wormer. I can't weigh it out as previously said but looking into it all and finding some fab. posts on here in particular I have satisfied myself I am doing no harm if giving her a little too much as I am certain I am doing this as I can weigh 2 grams on my scales. It's been several days now and she is obviously not feeling herself :0( I will make some more porrige up for the morning and she will hopefully love that again and feed herself!

xx
Does my Girl have Worms?

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 14:42
by ctayts
xx
What do I feed my girl's and when.

Started by Lakisha354 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 19:28
by upert
xx
My first poorly girl

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 21:50
by NormandyMary
xx
Poorly Girl...

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 22:50
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 28 queries.