Advice for setting out

• 3 Replies

Alan lad

Advice for setting out
« on: October 27, 2011, 22:08 »
After getting a very over grown allotment in the may of this year I managed to get a few raised beds away to at least give us something by the way of veg. The bulk of the rest I covered with old carpet and fabric and most of the weeds have now died back. The land is quite heavy and slopes slightly on two sides. I have access to some exceptionally good compost but wondered about setting out things for next year, is it best to plan it out on paper what is going where as it's all new to me so not sure about if plants can be mixed,what works best together etc. We like potatoes, carrots, broccoli, garlic,cabbage, cauliflower,sweetcorn, onion, swede and a small amount of salad stuff. We have inherited some beautiful rhubarb and about a dozen raspberry canes and a nice but wild blackberry bush.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice for setting out
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 22:26 »
I would plan out some beds so that you have an idea of what to plant where next year.

If you click the Growing Help link near the top banner, you'll find lots of articles, including planning the plot and on crop rotation.  Rotation is where you group similar veggies together and then move them around the plot in a particular sequence (there are many variations) every year.

e.g. broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower are all brassicas.  Onion and garlic are the allium family. 

Carpet is generally not a good idea on an allotment, even if it is not formally banned.  You are lucky if the weeds have not already started growing through it - a member on here suffered a slipped disc trying to lift such carpet from his plot.  It may disintegrate into lots of pieces, and release chemicals from its dyes and glues into the soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ferreter51

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 13:44 »
It's a good idea to make a plan, certainly.  As to covering the ground, you will have roots still under the soil which will have to be dug out before you plant next year.  I have dug my raused beds over, manured them and covered them with some thick black polythene sheeting cut to size.  It's not too expensive, is much lighter than carpet, can be used again if looked after and will not harm the soil.

Alan lad

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 19:26 »
Been busy removing carpet ref one of my replies, thanks for that,never thought about all those things.still it's been a fantastic sunny day for being up there diggin up roots !! Got home and my azadas had turned up, looks like I am going to fun with this tool.

xx
Tomatoes not setting

Started by DrBill on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 18:37
by Ivor Backache
xx
Setting up new Allotments

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 20:53
by vegikev
xx
Setting onions off

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 17:43
by brownp
xx
setting on heavy soil?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 18:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.