setting on heavy soil?

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

setting on heavy soil?
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:02 »
just need to ask your advise i have been gardening for some years but as they say ones never to old to learn :wub: my allotment's are slightly on the heavy side one plot has a bit of clay and lays heavy it takes some braking down  i need to rotovate several times after winter ploughing  potatoes marrows and most other vegetables don't seem to like it there it :unsure: seems like the goodness has been drained out the ground i thought about planting some corn like the farmers let it grow up keep it weeded then cut the straw and plough it in and  see if this would put any humus back in the ground the trouble is i am paying rent for something i cant use perhaps if i used a straw based manure mite help? has anyone experienced the same how have you rectified the problem what do you find grows best on this type of ground what would you suggest is the best way of putting humus back in heavy ground that's not to expensive whats the answer :(

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: setting on heavy soil?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19 »
just need to ask your advise i have been gardening for some years but as they say ones never to old to learn :wub: my allotment's are slightly on the heavy side one plot has a bit of clay and lays heavy it takes some braking down  i need to rotovate several times after winter ploughing  potatoes marrows and most other vegetables don't seem to like it there it :unsure: seems like the goodness has been drained out the ground i thought about planting some corn like the farmers let it grow up keep it weeded then cut the straw and plough it in and  see if this would put any humus back in the ground the trouble is i am paying rent for something i cant use perhaps if i used a straw based manure mite help? has anyone experienced the same how have you rectified the problem what do you find grows best on this type of ground what would you suggest is the best way of putting humus back in heavy ground that's not to expensive whats the answer :(

muck muck and more muck.

poppies

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:28 »
Hi have to agree just keep piling in the manure we are also on clay -used to be a brick yard , this has really improved the soil.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 14:01 »
as the thread suggest

add muck, followed by muck and just top up with more muck....  its the only solution, waste of time trying green manures as you seem to be suggesting (at this stage)

Seriously,  your plot association should have the phone number of a local supplier of well rotted horse manure or cow muck.  You can usually get a trailer load for £40 or £50 delivered to site.  I have done this for many years.  The soil in my locality is heavy clay but the soil on my lottie is now a lovely fine crumb.

As well as the muck I have added I have also put on several cubic metres of sharp sand and loads of leaf mould (no goodness in this just improves the structure.

As an addendum, remember that clay soil is high in nutrients - you just have to improve the structure to unlock this wealth!!
Death OR Cake ???

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 15:47 »
It might be worth testing to see if it needs lime. If it is acid the structure will be poor. Otherwise agree with muck advice.

You still have time to sow a green mamure such as mustard or phacelia and dig it in before you plant later crops such as marrows/runner beans. Let it get 9 inches high and then turn it in.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 16:28 »
Agree with the lime test - if it is neutral to acidic, then do it but don't use manure at the same time. The lime will bind the fine clay particles together. As a quicker fix, try digging in some grit to help drainage, and yes - add as much well-rotted compost as you can.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 18:51 »
I also add all the fall leaves I can gather to my plot as I rotovate in the fall along with lots of manure. In fact, I go around town collecting bagged leaves from others who are glad it's being put to good use. Worms adore leaves and they're the best soil breaker imaginable, and with masses of leaves to feed them, it's a win-win situation.

xx
The 'my heavy soil is too heavy', thread.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 02:29
by vegmandan
xx
Very heavy soil

Started by Poppy Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 22:43
by Poppy Rowan
xx
heavy soil

Started by jackie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 16:25
by Goosegirl
xx
When to plant in heavy soil

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 21:10
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.843 seconds with 28 queries.