Warning: dark mornings

• 3 Replies

Casey76

Warning: dark mornings
« on: October 27, 2011, 14:44 »
Just for people to be aware... I've had 6 birds taken over the past week after I have let them out on a morning.

Because I leave for work while it is still dark I have to open the coops in the dark, and consequently any predators around at daybreak are obviously finding sleepy chickens in my garden too tempting to resist.

Unfortunately I can't afford auto-openers on all my coops (too many!), so I'm going round my boundry (again) at the weekend, trying to stop up gaps if any have occurred.

So please be vigilent, incase the foxes in the Uk are as wiley as our martens are in France!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Warning: dark mornings
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 16:43 »
Sorry to hear of your losses Casey  :(

I went out to let the chickens out the other morning at around 7.00 am and a huge dog fox came crashing out of the bushes and lept up onto the fence.  Don't know who was more scared - me or him.

He stood on the fence looking at me and I stared at him until we both calmed down and then off he went.

My lot are in runs so safe, but glad they were still in bed.  He would have scared them witless  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 17:16 »
Sorry for your loss Casey.  The dark evenings are the same problem.  It gets dark so quickly now that you have to be quick and lock them away safely. 

We are looking into having a large walk in run made for ours.  Have been in touch with a joiner friend who now has a Conservatory company to see if he will be able to make it over his quiet period.  Just have to decide on a design so he can price it up but sure it will be cheaper than ones we have seen online.  Then we can even go on holiday with less to do for the chicken sitter.  :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 19:19 »
Thanks for the timely warning, Casey, and sorry to hear about your loss.  :(
I am not letting my chickens out until it is full light so this time of year I get a lie in.  After the clocks go back I will be up at six again and letting the hens out at about seven when it is full light.   
I am aware that many people do not have the luxury as they have to leave home before it is full light so I agree that predator precautions are well worth checking and beefing up if necessary.  Good luck with this to you all  :)
Another time of year to be extra vigilant is in the spring when vixens are trying to feed their cubs and will take risks that they perhaps wouldn't at other times of year.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
early mornings

Started by pelirocco on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 20:15
by NormandyMary
xx
Do hens always lay in the mornings?

Started by sheridan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 11:11
by themagicaltoad1
xx
early mornings

Started by browntrouty on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 13:53
by joyfull
xx
Cold mornings !! zzzzzaaaawwww

Started by jamima on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 12:44
by jamima

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 30 queries.