Help! Goose stepping chicken?

• 7 Replies

silkiechick

Help! Goose stepping chicken?
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:55 »
After opening the coop this morning one of my hens has been goose stepping round the garden with her neck stretched out?  I wormed them all a few weeks ago with Vermex but noticed this weekend that 3 of them were opening their beaks from time to time.  I couldn't see anything down their necks but was going to treat them with Flubenvet in case it is gapeworm.  Is this all it is or is the goose stepping more sinister?  The other hens are fine (apart from the beak opening which isn't all the time) and she was pecking away with them when I left for work.  I'd be grateful for any advice please!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Help! Goose stepping chicken?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27 »
hopefully someone with more experience will come along and help. glad to hear you're going to use flubenvet. vermex is a herbal remedy and although it says its a natural wormer - there is very little evidence to suggest this to be true.

but just so as you're aware, gapeworm is rare in chickens and the neck stretching and gaping is probably more related to a respiratory infection.

stress, moulting, a big scare or even dormant bacteria can cause this so you might want to make a trip to the vet for some antibiotics. it would be better to treat all your birds than risk it spreading.

hope that helps.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

silkiechick

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:09 »
Thanks Shetan.  I have tried to give chickens antibiotics before via a syringe into their beaks but this has been really difficult and the vet wouldn't let me dose them up any other way (eg in their food or water). Is there any easier way? I got a nasty nip from the cockerel when I looked at the poorly hen this morning and can't see me getting near his beak without losing a few fingers.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:24 »
well the vet would usually prescribe tylan or baytril. these are broad spectrum antibiotics and are used to hit all bacteria - they are added to the bird's water. i would opt for tylan if given the choice.

sadly they sometimes knock out the good gut bacteria too so yoghurt should be given or even a good vitamin tonic in the water after the course is completed.

hope that helps

nic n dave

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 15:21 »
sorry if i sound dumb but what is goose stepping?

silkiechick

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 15:39 »
Sorry if i wasn't clear - she was stepping in a really exaggerated way, lifting her feet up really high (like the chinese etc soldiers when the do the huge marches past with the tanks?).  She was also really leaning forward with her head.  It was very strange .

Also thanks again shetan - I've had a look at Tylan and will have to educate my vet (!)

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 16:00 »
Is she a silkie?

Silkies can be prone to getting the feathers between thier legs tangled and matted because they are filamentous; so if you can check that first.

the neck movements may be related to the funny walking, so better sort out the easiest things first ;)

silkiechick

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 13:50 »
Just to let you know that she seems fine now and hasn't been high stepping round anymore.  Maybe she did just have her underfeathers in a knot! (hehe)

xx
Hen 'goose stepping'

Started by jhub on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 17:39
by Tigerwren
xx
High stepping hen ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 10:19
by 8doubles
xx
am stepping up security after last night

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 13:19
by chooknewbie
xx
How Do You Sex A Goose

Started by dangolding on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 10:24
by Bodger

Page created in 0.836 seconds with 37 queries.