Two things I've learned in the last six months...

• 27 Replies

Growster...

Two things I've learned in the last six months...
« on: October 25, 2011, 20:45 »
There are several things which I've found out from here on AVG - and from the others down on the patches, so it's about time I held my hand up and admitted that I'm never too old to learn...

1) A rutabaga is a swede! I always thought it was a melon, because on the Branston Pickle label, they used to come next to each other, so, q.e.d...

2) Liquid manure needs to be applied to reach the blasted roots, not the tops...

Salmo

Re: Two things I've learned in the last six months...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 21:27 »
Liquid feed is also absorbed through the leaves, especially trace elements such as magnesium and manganese.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 22:00 »
Liquid feed is also absorbed through the leaves, especially trace elements such as magnesium and manganese.

Absolutely Salmo, but I sprayed the stuff on my carrots for some considerable time...

:0(

stompy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40 »
Absolutely Salmo, but I sprayed the stuff on my carrots for some considerable time...

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:52 »
I finally got it right with my brassicas this year - the two things I learned were:

1. Lime the ground
2. Stamp the soil down well and allow it to settle for a month before planting seedlings out. Hoe lightly so as not to disturb the soil below the surface.

Sometimes it just takes a while for stuff to sink into my head  ??? Best year so far, Now, just need to improve my netting to keep the cabbage whites out  :)

There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 20:06 »
I finally got it right with my brassicas this year - the two things I learned were:

1. Lime the ground
2. Stamp the soil down well and allow it to settle for a month before planting seedlings out. Hoe lightly so as not to disturb the soil below the surface.

Sometimes it just takes a while for stuff to sink into my head  ??? Best year so far, Now, just need to improve my netting to keep the cabbage whites out  :)

These are sound examples Aelf, and should form Chapter 1 of the AV and G 'Hints and Tips' site...!

(Hints and tips are always considered here, mainly because I can easily forget from year to year...)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 23:18 by Yorkie »

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 23:59 »
Two things I hope I have learned
1) let seeds mature on the plant,THEN harvest
2) learn about the lifecycle and habits of the creatures who eat your crops,that you want to HIT  hard !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:11 »
1) That my sandy soil needs a lot more feeding, than my old plot on clay.
2) That autumn calabrese is a waste of space, for the third year running :(

o there's a third (sorry :blush: )
chicken pellets and BF&B really do encourage the foxes to play on your plot, rather than everybody elses  :(

stompy

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:07 »
1.. The weeds will always do better than the crops if you leave them to it!
2.. I always seem to be at work on the best days :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 10:25 »
Only 2?  :ohmy:

1) No matter how much you think you have learned about growing your own, nature will always make sure you don't get too complacent about it.

2) Don't strim a dodgy-looking brown lump on the edge of your lawn in the hope you will be able to flick it into the nearby hedge (and certainly not with your mouth open!)  :ohmy:  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37 »
2) Don't strim a dodgy-looking brown lump on the edge of your lawn in the hope you will be able to flick it into the nearby hedge (and certainly not with your mouth open!)  :ohmy:  :wacko:

NO! you didn't  :ohmy: ................ :wacko:

You won't be doing that again will you  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08 »

NO! you didn't  :ohmy: ................ :wacko:

OH YES I DID!  ::)

You won't be doing that again will you  ::)

OH NO I WON'T!  (Simultaneous removal of clothes into washing machine and leaping into shower to the accompaniment of gagging noises is not something you want to be doing every day!) :lol:

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26 »
Only 2?  :ohmy:

1) No matter how much you think you have learned about growing your own, nature will always make sure you don't get too complacent about it.

And don't strim with your car parked nearby, or you'll flick a stone up and smash your side window. This happened to an adjacent plot holder. I now keep my car and myself well clear of anyone strimming.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 15:51 »
Lump-distress noted Jay! How awful!

Since mentioning only two, I've got several more, but wanted to be last in the queue...;0)

1) New, vigorous blackberry brambles grow from a piece left in the ground, about 1/8th inch long.

2) The thorns on those small 1/8th pieces are about eight foot long, and can cause multiple lacerations to the knees, especially when they've travelled up through your hand, up past your shoulder, bypassing the important bits, motoring down towards the trousers, and hitting your patella at about 60 miles an hour...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 16:36 »
Lump-distress noted Jay! How awful!

Since mentioning only two, I've got several more, but wanted to be last in the queue...;0)

1) New, vigorous blackberry brambles grow from a piece left in the ground, about 1/8th inch long.

2) The thorns on those small 1/8th pieces are about eight foot long, and can cause multiple lacerations to the knees, especially when they've travelled up through your hand, up past your shoulder, bypassing the important bits, motoring down towards the trousers, and hitting your patella at about 60 miles an hour...

Aaaahhhhh yes - that brings back memories or maybe nightmares  :lol:  My plot is split over 2 parts of the site and my smaller plot is at the edge and was bordered by a huge bank of the evil sith of all brambles  :ohmy:  I remember clearing them well   Sorry I may have to go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit now......................

xx
Things I learned today! (2nd attempt -see below)

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 08:51
by zazen999
xx
Lesson learned

Started by slopym on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac
xx
Another lesson learned

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 15:39
by J_B
xx
A(nother) lesson learned

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 20:28
by oakridge

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 30 queries.