Another lesson learned

• 9 Replies

JohnB47

Another lesson learned
« on: July 10, 2013, 16:54 »
I bought a pack of six courgette plants recently. A bit late maybe but thought I give it a go.

Planted four and gave two away to a nearby plot holder. Returned the next night to find one chewed nearly to extinction by slugs!

Lesson? Wait to see how your own are doing before giving any away.  ::)

Beetroot queen

Re: Another lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 16:56 »
Once they get going you wont be worrying, hubby sowed nearly 30 we lost a few but the courgettes are now in full flow and i am googling chutneys already  :ohmy:

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:02 »
Yes, it is annoying when that happens isn't it? But if you hadn't given them away, the ones you planted would have flourished and the ones in the pots died! :)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:47 »
Once they get going you wont be worrying, hubby sowed nearly 30 we lost a few but the courgettes are now in full flow and i am googling chutneys already  :ohmy:

30 courgette plants!?  :ohmy: That's a lot. Maybe Beetroot Queen is to become Courgette Queen?  :tongue2:

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50 »

30 courgette plants!?  :ohmy: That's a lot. Maybe Beetroot Queen is to become Courgette Queen?  :tongue2:

Jim

:lol: :lol: I sow several seeds of different varieties and select/plant out 2 of each ... I know 2 varieties are not that prolific as courgettes go, but still, the 4 plants that will be cropping regularly will be more than I can manage

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56 »
They really are awesome plants. This is the first year we've grown them in the ground and the leaves are enormous - like solar panels for making fruit. If only all veg was like this!

I think we'll be making cakes this year, as well as the usual pizza, pasta sauce, salad, stir fry...  :wacko:
Never stop learning

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15 »
Just picked my first last night and it looks like there's plenty on the way. Might have to buy that book about things to do with courgettes :D

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56 »
My 4 plants are providing more than enough already. can't imagine what you would do with 30....

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12 »
Wr murdered some, ok i accidently murdered a few and the rest well have just got going really. He is going to eat every plate of courgettes i serve up and just let him roll his eyes once  >:(

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 15:39 »
so i sowed some in middle of may and nothing came up for a whole month, but i diligently kept watering it...finally i bought 4 on 15th June since i thought i had lost the earlier ones since nothing had happened for a month....by 20th june i get 8 new plants...so ended up with 10 now on the plot.....grilled courgettes,soup etc on teh qay :) and lots of gifts for neighbours......my first pick shopuld be ready by next week....

xx
Lesson learned

Started by slopym on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac
xx
A(nother) lesson learned

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 20:28
by oakridge
xx
Today's Lesson...

Started by kosh42|EFG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 21:00
by kosh42|EFG
sad
Lesson Learnt but is there hope

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:36
by Missy1970

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 27 queries.